Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've never used the MBI ammo; how bad is the shipping? Responding only because it doesn't seem like a phenomenal deal; WWB at WalMart is running about $22 @ C, if my shaky memory is any guide.
Personally I've been using 115 gr, eithe FMJs or HPs, everything runs just fine with the exception of some bluntish-bullet HPs that I loaded a little too long.
Moon

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shipping is about $18 for 1K. I can get the CCI Blazer Brass 124gr 1K shipped for $243 and the Federal American eagle 124gr shipped for the same.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Unless I'm doing the math wrong, the WWB is still cheaper, tho' I don't know if you can get 1k rounds at a clip. Double check the Wally World stuff; the price fluctuates (there was a time that it was less than $18 @ C, at which point it was easier if not cheaper than reloading).
If you don't reload, think about it. You'll feed enough rounds to that Pony to make it worth your while!
Moon

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did check out those sites and many more. I ended up getting the CCI Blazer brass 124 gr. Best price I've found with free shipping. I read all good reviews on this ammo. $10.99 a box with free shipping no matter how many boxes you order. $219 1000 rnds shipped.

Blazer Brass 9mm 124gr 9mm 5201

·
Registered
17 Posts
The "White Box" ammo works very well for what I bought it for and that would be for practice ammo for my Beretta hand guns. I am looking and have a request in for a Colts 6951 which will be my next purchase. I usually buy my ammo in 1K lots or bigger to save money. I have never purchased steel cased ammo and for any of my guns even the SKS and AK. I shoot Winchester, Federal, PPU and IMI in my Colt AR's. The only "Blazer" ammo that I have is what is left in a 50 round box of 380ACP that I picked up when I purchased my Beretta 85FS. It left black soot inside and outside of what was a clean nickel finish. I haven't used any since and it was replaced with some Winchester Ranger and haven't looked back. When I finally get the 9mm AR I will provide a report on the Winchester 115. I bought (4) 32 round Colt LE marked mags for a gun that I don't even have yet because I couldn't pass up the price. They say "Lightly Used", but they look new. COLT 32rd 9mm mag at G and R Tactical

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well looks like I'm out of luck on the Blazer Brass. I was notified they are temporary out of stock but have the 115 gr. I've read posts on other forums that the 124 is a little better than the 115 but can't attest to that. I may look at some 115.

·
Registered
852 Posts
laj, not sure what the charm is in the $40 magazines; Brownells has them for $28.47 for Metalforms. If you like the LE markings, it's your call.
Moon

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey, if you gotta have the name, you gotta have the name.
Metalform is the current OEM, but I'm guessing you knew that.
If you're not already fond of your carbine, you soon will be.
Enjoy.
Moon

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess I have that failing. I have 6 AR's and all are Colt except one using an LRB upper and lower. I also bought a BCM Government profile upper, but it is still in the box. As far as the 6951 I love it, accurate right out of the box and I thought the price was fair. I paid $1075 from Colt Model 6951 Flattop 9MM 16" Carbine. I even invited my wife shoot with me and she really liked the weight and feel of the gun. By the way the magazines worked flawlessly, must be the name, ha, ha. No fails to feed, no fails to eject and no fails to fire. The only problem that I see with this rifle compared to the 5.56 is the "blow back" action is very dirty. It soots up the shell casings and the breach. Sends the casings out up to 12 feet away. The 5.56 guns aren't that aggressive. The ammo was the 115 grain Winchester White Box. I will try some 124 grain and 147 grain next time.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried the 115 white box with no problems but really like the Sellier & Bellot 124. Very accurate and a tad hotter than the 115. I'm using the UZI modified mags and are great!!! 0 problems! I wasn't sure but with the 100% satisfaction full refund, I said why not. You won't be disappointed. These are true military UZI mags, all steel bodies, followers, floorplates. They do disassemble for cleaning/inspection, and are disassembled prior to precision mill cutting the AR/9mm modifications. The followers are an anti tilt type design, very rigid.

Description

* These are military issue UZI magazines that I have modified myself on a metal lathe/mill
* They are precision made to fit Colt style 9mm M16/ AR-15 rifles/clones
* These magazines are modified one at a time, and each is test fit in my personal weapon
* These have been test fired in a full auto registered Colt, and are 100% reliable and dependable
* These are preban UZI mags
* I have sold many of these and had zero complaints
* I offer a full refund if you are not satisfied with them

SALE M-16 AR-15 9mm FOUR mags FULL AUTO Colt 32 : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
852 Posts
MA, the pictures on your link make it pretty clear where the design for the Colt/Metalform mags was derived. I have had exactly zero feed/function issues with either the Colt/Metalform mags or the C-products, tho' the Metalforms have the better rep. Apparently the C-products were OEM for a period before Colt reverted to the Metalforms.

In any case, my carbine has eaten absolutely everything it's been fed, running the gamut from WWB to my own handloads; most has been 115gr.. Yes, they do dirty themselves up more than the DI guns, but the fieldstrip and cleaning are easy enough that it's not a big deal.

Does Colt have an official postion regarding +P in these carbines?

BTW, I've made a leather flap thingy that hangs over the E-port and bats down the ejected brass, making it easier to find to reload. Has anyone tried the shell deflectors marketed for the 5.56 guns to see if they'll work with the pistol caliber?
Moon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts