Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying this 1969 Diamondback....no box, just the gun.

I own a 1976 that I bought new and it has Gold medallions...this 69 has Silver medallions, grips look original ....anybody know if 69's came with Silver?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own a 1966 DB with silver medallions. Not sure when Colt changed to gold; but I believe 69 was silver also. Some more knowledgeable member can confirm this.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,891 Posts
At some indeterminate time in the 1970's you started seeing Gold Colt medallions used on other revolvers, usually higher quality models like the Diamondback.
By the 1980's everything was Gold.

It's very likely a 1976 Diamondback shipped with Gold.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At some indeterminate time in the 1970's you started seeing Gold Colt medallions used on other revolvers, usually higher quality models like the Diamondback.
By the 1980's everything was Gold.

It's very likely a 1976 Diamondback shipped with Gold.
Thanks...I know for sure the 76 shipped with Gold medallions as I bought that gun new.

I was wondering if the 69 I'm thinking of buying originally came with Silver...sounds like all revolvers in the 50's might have come with Silver...is that the case?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,891 Posts
I was wondering if the 69 I'm thinking of buying originally came with Silver...sounds like all revolvers in the 50's might have come with Silver...is that the case?

From about the mid-1920's up until the mid-1970's ONLY the Colt Python had Gold medallions.
EVERY other Colt production revolver had Silver and only Silver.

So all 50's Colt revolvers had Silver and all 1960's Colt's had Silver except for the Python.

·
Registered
879 Posts

From about the mid-1920's up until the mid-1970's ONLY the Colt Python had Gold medallions.

So all 50's Colt revolvers had Silver and all 1960's Colt's had Silver except for the Python.

You know dfariswheel, I thought I had learned that (only python had gold medallions up to the 70's), but didn't want to stick my neck out in case I was wrong. Didn't want it chopped off. I'm still learning..... :)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks...that answers my question about this 69....sorry for the confusion.
I think the 50"s Pythons also might have been the only gun with Gold medallions based on the pics in the thread in the Python section this morning of the 3 digit one recently sold on GB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts