Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than just personal preference, and I understand the attraction to both camps - is there any particular advantage either way on an LE6920 to the stock M4 furniture vs. the Magpul version?

If there is, it might make the decision process a little easier... otherwise I'm stuck trying to figure out which one I like better!:bang_wall:

·
Registered
464 Posts
If yours has the older "waffle" stock (i.e., not the newer "Rogers" stock), may I suggest the Magpul CTR stock!!! :D

Tony

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think that replacing the OEM furniture is all the rage now. I think it is mostly personal preference. I do like a lot of the additional functionality that some of the replacements offer though.

I like the stock double-shielded hand guards but I know a lot of people want something thinner. My wife loves the MOE, although it is "only" single-shielded.

I like the MOE Grips to so that you can store and extra bolt.

As for the stock, I like the stock one. If I replace it will be hold batteries. I like the Vltor IMods.

Oh wait, if I do all that, I will have ended replacing all the stock furniture :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've pulled the OEM stocks off all my adjustables (two Colts and an S&W) to replace them with Magpuls. It is really worth doing, because it gives a much more solid seat on the shoulder.
Personally, I like the double heat shields, but despise the A2 pistol grip. I replace those with an A1; that bump on the A2 fits someone else's fingers.
Moon

·
Registered
117 Posts
I put the Magpul PRS stock on my HBAR and Armalite AR-10T. Left the original Colt adjustable on my '70's Colt carbine (aka CAR-15/XM-177). I really like the PRS for my longer range AR's. They make it fit better.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just put a Magpul CTR stock on my 6940 and have been very pleased with it. I especially like the quick disconnect feature with my Larue two pt. sling.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Zrexxer,

Do you plan to mount a weapon light, VFG, etc to your fore-end? If so, the Magpul MOE furniture may be a little more versatile for you. There are factory and aftermarket attachments and mounts made for the MOE furniture. Their are aftermarket mounts that will function with the standard handguards, too, though. Let me know if you want more info. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
*Edit*
Quite frankly, there is no "difference" except in price. The standard M4 carbine is fine as is IMO. It does come down to a personal preference.

Here's my story for what it's worth...

I started from the get go with the LE6920CMP. For two months, I enjoyed the rifle but in the next couple of months, I've slowly upgraded even the MOE stuff. The only thing left today, is the Magpul trigger guard.

MOE stock replaced with STR Stock
MOE grip replaced with Hogue Grip (swapped from my M&P15-22)
MOE BUS replaced with Troy metal sight (swapped from my M&P15-22)
MOE handguard replaced with Daniel Defense 7" Omega Rail

Added Aimpoint PRO

Now the rifle looks even better than before in my eyes. It is pretty much done in terms of modifications. There is a chance I might swap back the MOE grip for the storage compartment but get the Hogue rubber sheathing that goes over the grip; I just like the feel of the rubber-like grip over just plastic. The issue of course , is Magpul assumes tactical users are wearing gloves but for civilian purposes for the "average" shooter, we're not usually wearing gloves (or hey, maybe just buy gloves!!!)

The one thing I've discovered about firearms is it's a lot like cars for me.... I just can't leave well enough alone. ;)
As for some of the spare parts, I may someday assemble a second one from a stripped lower.

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is a chance I might swap back the MOE grip for the storage compartment but get the Hogue rubber sheathing that goes over the grip; I just like the feel of the rubber-like grip over just plastic. The issue of course , is Magpul assumes tactical users are wearing gloves but for civilian purposes for the "average" shooter, we're not usually wearing gloves (or hey, maybe just buy gloves!!
Pardon the thread drift, but Magpul makes a rubber over-molded version of their MOE grip if you're interested.

GRIPS - MOE+™ Grip – AR15/M16

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put the Magpul SRT on my 6920. Space for batteries and it has a locking feature that virtually eliminates annoying shake and rattle.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Okay, I've revised my opinion and replaced the double heat shields with MOE forends; has a much better feel in my hand. Nice thing about the platform; it lends itself to changes.
I had a chance to shoulder a buddy's rifle before making the change.
Moon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts