Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is the 70 series 38 super government model hard to find ?
I can't find any for sale to get an idea of price.
I have a chance to buy a very nice original one (no box), but can't find any of them anywhere for sale to comparison shop.
I can't find any even on the auction sites.
I see plenty of 70 series government 45's, but not 38 supers.
I know what the Blue Book is saying, but was curious if the 38 super brings any kind of premium ?
Any help here would be great.

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Not really rare, but not plentiful either. I see them occasionally, and the NIB are usually priced around the 1k mark +/-...usually +... My gun show scrounging buddy just paid 800.00 for one that appeared to be same as new, and no signs of ever being fired, but no box or papers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
All the 38-S I've seen that were Series 70 were bringing big bucks.....esp. depending on year and type.

The whole series 70/80 thing is WAY over hyped, however hype created value.

I hope you get a steal of a deal.

Lee

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree.There's a whole lot more bad series 70's then there are series 80's.Only difference is in the safety.That and the bad quality control in the late series 70's. The target shooters love the 38 supers.You can load em up to 38+p loads almost.But the purest always stick with 45 and the 38 super guys will get em a Sig or something more exotic.If you want a really good gun,now is the time to buy new Colt auto's.The custom makers are loveing the XSE's and the 1991A1's for base guns because the quality is one of the best out there,includeing Kimbers,SA's,and the hot selling 1911 Smithes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
yeah, you've read about my love for my 1991 and I have NEVER had a weapon malfunction due to the pistol....NEVER.

Considering my SS 1991 has had 1,500 rds thru it, I think that says alot.

As far as the 38 Super goes, I know that some of the Bullseye guys like to shoot that round for "centerfire" rounds due to the lrg variaty of match ammo thats out there. I am not a big ballistics nut, but many claim the 38 Super makes an excellent target choice and has been used by the All Army Shooting Team at Ft. Benning, GA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts