Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about changing out the sights of my 1911A1 70 series from the short front staked / short dovetailed rear sights to a low profile fiber-optic front and low profile adjustable rear. I would like to do it without milling the slide. Any suggestions who might offer these as a set for sale>

JC

·
Registered
709 Posts
There are rear sights that fit right into the factory dovetail without modification. The problem is the front sight. It has a very small tenon and is staked in. In order to change to a different front sight, you could remove it, but I would bet that you would have to "hog" out the tenon hole for a larger one on the new sight. If you did that, it would be very difficult to replace the sights to original if you chose to.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Without looking at the Brownells catalog to see what fiber optic sights are available, there is a good chance that there are some that are made with either large or small tenons and will fit your pistol. If you have never done it, staking a front sight on requires a certain amount of care and even more so with fiber optic or tritium inserts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies - I'm not concerned if the hole has to be reshaped and the plan is to have a smith do the work. Just looking for a suggestion of a matched set that is low profile. I'm trying not to buy a set that I will not be happy with and have to deal with returning it. I will check Brownells.

JC

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
I assume you have a Government Model, since the last M1911A1 was made in 1945. Early Series 70 guns are becoming collectable so modifying one will hurt its value. In my opinion, sell the gun and buy one with sights that suit you. The cost will be about the same, and a collectable Colt will be saved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Going through the same thing with my Commander. As the eyes age it's harder and harder to see that front sight. I'm leaving mine alone and finger nail polish will have to do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not hard to do. I just did a Fusion front a rear on a quite used series 70. I made a tool for staking and went slowly. then I di a new bushing, then a hammer and sear job, then G10 grips an a beavertail and a magwell. and so it goes on and on. Anyway. staked front sights are pretty easy to do if you are a bit competent with tools. 250 rounds down the tube an the sight is still there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts