Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I am new to the forum, my intro can be found here: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/new-members-introduction/74243-new-guy-introduction.html

I was recently gifted a 1978 Detective Special in Nickel from my dad. I have some questions that I hope you all can help me with.

My phone camera does not do it justice. It's in amazing shape. Don't think it's ever been fired.

QUESTIONS:

What is the little #1 engraved by the trigger guard?

Where could I attempt to find a box for it? (I know this will be a long shot)

What should I use to clean it? It was stored away for over 20 years and it could use a little cleaning.

What kind of oil should I coat it with?

How should I store it?

I don't have a true humidity controlled safe, I keep some damp rid kind of stuff in it to keep the moisture down.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
The #1 is an inspector's stamp I believe . But I don't know specifically just WHAT part or parts He inspected,and I don't think anyone will know that either.
Go on ebay or gunbroker under gun parts or other such sites.for a box. Being that it's a relatively new DS, box shouldn't cost much.
For nickel, I'd use renaissance wax. You can clean it first with flitz polish BUT if the gun isn't all that "dirty" I might just pass on the flitz and go right to ren wax. Polishes like flitz and mothers mag will take off some nickel every time you use them, so if you want to use them first, use them very sparingly. Ren wax will protect the nickel finish.
whatever safe you have at least put some of those humidity suck up pellets in there and check them for the color change - The ren wax I think is your best bet for your nickel dS no matter what safe condition you have
Your DS looks GREAT!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
The stamp on the left rear of the trigger guard is thought to be the assemblers stamp.
On the left front of the trigger guard is a "VP" in a triangle which is Colt's "Verified Proof" indicating it passed it's proof stamp.

Under the serial number on the frame will be another inspectors stamp, probably the final inspectors stamp.

You can find boxes on Ebay and the gun auctions, but most of these will be fakes. You can also buy fake box end labels, manuals, hang tags, etc.
To people who know what genuine Colt boxes and labels look like these fakes are obvious.

By this time the original lubricant is probably dried up and it's needs to be lubricated.
To do this, use whatever lubricant you like and follow the directions here:

Revolver Cleaning

Congratulations, you now own the finest "snubby" revolver ever made.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
First ,you now own the finest 2 inch 38 ever, and it belonged to your father. I would keep it forever, just like the little Colt 25 auto my dad gave me. If you take care of it , it will give you a lot of shooting pleasure ,and guard your hide and home better than most. I would forget the box which falls apart ,and get from Colt a 9 inch soft case. The factory grips are ok ,but I never liked them . If you want a set of rubber grips , pm me and I will send you a pr for the postage. I put a tyler t grip on my shiny DS and Cobra with stock servivc grips with silver medallions . Another option is to check out Grashorn Grips and have him make you a nice set of stag grips. For serious work Buffalo Bore 158 lhp plus p, for home defense go down to the standard pressure version. Congratulations , enjoy ,these will never be produced again, you are lucky to have one ,and one with a pedigree

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
No need for Flitz on that gem.

Ren wax or my favorite, Johnson's Paste Wax.

Don't be afraid of the camera on your phone, it's all about the lighting.

Here is my 72 Nickel Detective taken with an iPhone 4.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Well the Ren wax is the way to go for preserving the finish.Also the humidity pellets to control safe humidity is a good idea also.EEZOX is good for lubrication but I am partial to Militec 1 myself.As far as the boxes I would forget about it because they are not durable and there are a boatload of fake boxes,end labels and hang tags.If you insist on having one put the link for it here and the experts will give their learned opinion.The only thing I could add is that I like to store all my guns in silicone impregnitated gun socks for storage...Hope it help and congrats on the beautiful D.S.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.