Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does a long barreled python stack up to the snubbies value wise. Can get a 8-3/4 blued for $950, perhaps negotiable downward somewhat.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi robba. Your 1st post I see! Well, a big time welcome to the forum.

I will apologize right up front for not even trying to answer your question. All seriousness aside that $950 8 3/4" Python may be priceless. As I thought they only came in lengths up to 8". It may be 1 of 1 and who can put a price on that!

Now which of the snubbies are you looking to compare this to? The more common 2 1/2" or the 3"? But if I were to hazzard a guess, I would say that the 8 3/4" Python is in the same price class as the 3 3/4" Python.

Now we all know that men are notoriously bad at measuring in inches. Let's not even get into discussing how some don't seem to know the difference between a real 3" and a claimed 6"! Lets just say your snake doesn't quite measure up!

OK robba, I hope you don't think I'm making fun at your expence, because that was not my intent. I was just amusing myself, and hoping to illicit some participation here. But if I must be serious, then the snubbies probably command a higher price tag. I wouldn't pay $950 for it, no matter what barrel length!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
There were a couple of different variations with the 8 inch barrel. One I believe was only made for one year (the Python Hunter) so considering the limited numbers of this variation I would say it would be worth the $950.

Excuse my manners, Welcome to the forum.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 08-25-2004).]

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys, so much for the razzing. When you get my age 3/4 of an inch isn't quite as important as the subject at hand. Also I do have an 8-3/4 Smith, pardon the swear word K-22. Hence the confusion in my ancient brain.
Seriously thanks for the info. However you did not tell me what you would pay for a nice 8" python. These guys will deal on price. Thanks much.

·
Registered
794 Posts
OK robba, you took the razzing pretty well and with style I might add. So I must give you my 2 cents for what ever it is worth.

Majic brings up a good point, if the gun you saw was special like like the Python Hunter or the Python Silhouette, then $950 would be a bargain. But I will assume what you saw was a run of the mill Python in 8" trim.

You already know that the snubbies command a higher price. So the question really boils down to this: how much is the gun you saw worth?

One of the biggest factors in price is of course condition. You didn't state a condition but I will make another assumption that it must be in like new condition as the dealer is mighty proud of it based on his asking price.

Now understand that the 8" Python may be the least desirable barrel length. Simply because the size limits its usefulness. Like no good for concealed carry! Duh! Sorry. So that will give you some leverage to reduce the price.

For a Python in like new condition with that kind of a price tag, I'd better see the original box and paperwork too. If not included, that is more leverage or subtraction to the asking price. What about the grips? Are they factory original or aftermarket. If aftermarket subtract some more as a nice set of walnut grips can easily cost you from $50 to $100 to retrofit.

Now does it have any signs of being mucked with such as a jeweled trigger or hammer etc. If so lots more subtraction. Is there any evidence of a Custom Shop order such as Elliason sights or special grips? If so, keep quiet if you suspect it may have come from the custom shop.

robba, to net it out it is hard to put a price on the gun with the scant details you provided. However, since I like your sense of humor and good nature, I will take a SWAG. Assuming LNIB original condition I'd offer him $750 cash. (If he goes for it you be saying to yourself why didn't I offer $700!) If he counters I'd go $800 OTD. If I really just had to have that gun, I might be tempted to go $850 OTD but it would have to be really nice.

But robba please understand this is only one persons opinion. And I may be considered a tight wad by some measure. There are many factors that can raise or lower the value of this gun to you. If you log onto the auction sites and search for that configuration, you can see what some people are asking for their guns. But understand that is just their ASKING price. You can also see what people are willing to spend to buy one. I believe the better number to look at it what people are willing to spend, not the asking price.

I hope you get some more opinions so you can make an informed decision. Lord knows you don't want to base your decision on what one oddball who hides behind a fictitious name who may or may not know anything about which he writes.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how the negotiations work out.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Robba,
Since you are a good natured sport don't go over to the S&W forum talking of your K22 like that. They will quickly let you know, just as we did with the Python, that your K22 has a 8 3/8" barrel. I know it's splitting hairs, but hey that's why we are here. Passing out info, seeking answers, and generally having a good time is the purpose of these forums. You will get a good razzing from time to time, but everything goes in circles and you will have your day to hand out your share.

I agree with WS23 on the pricing. The long barreled Python has never received a lot of attention and could be a bargaining point to make. They are mostly for hunting and minor silhouette shooting (and the cartridge is really light for both applications). Look it over good and point out any imperfections. For a price like that it should have all the original documents, box, and the revolver should be all original in 98% condition.
If the dealer isn't willing to meet your offer then just pass, but keep a close eye on it to see if sits to collect dust. Next time around he may be a little more receptive to your offer.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 08-26-2004).]

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have certainly learned my lesson with you guys. From now on if I have a question about a revolver barrel length, I'll say something like eightish or ninish. No more Mr. Exact for me! Seriously I buy guns for their beauty to me, mostly wheelguns. One of my favorites is a ss anaconda in 45 colt with a sixish barrel. Folks at the pistol range at my sportsman club never fail to notice those huge cylinder holes. That is one comfortable, sweet shooting revolver. By the way, I think you guys talked me out of the eightish python. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm right with you on the .45 Anaconda. One day I will track down one of the elusive 4 inchers to match my 6 incher.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts