Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 8" bright stainless python. No box with serial no. PN121xx. I can't find much info about the 8" version. Also, I haven't seen many of these, are they uncommon? Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Colt's look-up page shows a build date of 1996. Bright (Ultimate) Stainless 8" Pythons are not the most rare but certainly more so than other configurations like 6" and 4". Also, they are great shooters if you intend to fire it.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I wouldn't consider them rare but definitely uncommon and highly collectible. It would be worth getting a factory letter in my opinion to verify the bright stainless to make sure that it has not been polished. You will more than make back your $75 if you go to resell it in the future.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You may be able to find out if the gun is an original stainless or original bright stainless by checking the serial number on Colt's Firearm Serial Number - Year of Mfg page --

Colt Firearm Serial Number Lookup - Year of Manufacture

Depending on the model number shown for your gun, you will know the finish:
I3080 - Python SS
I3081 - Python Bright Stainless

(Model info came from the old fordfairlane site)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The only one I have ever seen was carried by a man named Hawk on spencer for hire.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
The only one I have ever seen was carried by a man named Hawk on spencer for hire.
That series ran before the stainless Python was introduced. Hawk carried a nickel 8-inch Python. That series gave me the desire for a duplicate, and in 1981 I ordered an 8-inch nickel with factory tune and Ellaison sight package, Model Number I3681H. Still have it unfired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts