Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Officers Model 7-1/2" barrel, 2nd. issue serial #451XXX in just about 98% condition today. The only wear, is from a holster at the muzzle. Talked him down in price OTD. Screws have not been disturbed, and it has the original diamond grips with silver medallions. No box or papers.

I am always amazed when we find a revolver made in 1920 in this fine condition that has been god only knows where in its existence.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are very close in condition. I think yours has less holster wear at the muzzle. My son says our is 95%, I'll stick with a -98%. We have not cleaned the gun up yet but it seems to have been fired very little.

In our roaming on business in central Florida, we came upon a 4", 2nd. edition OM in about the same condition. The serial numbers are very close. It has been there for awhile,and he wants a fairly high price for it. However I don't believe the guy knows how rare it really is. We are going to make a fair offer when we go back in a couple of weeks. It is not in a gun shop.

We also found a 3rd. edition heavy barrel today that is 95%.

Like most folks, there is a limit what one can spend on guns in a month. We just bought a 22 DB and that with the OM has pretty well killed the gun budget for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have OM serial # 457xxx, also made in 1920, identical in condition and barrel length to gunfish's in the picture above, with the original diamond stocks. I agree with you about how something made in 1920 could show up in such great shape. I was wondering the same thing. A few weeks ago I bought a 6" Police Positve Special first issue made in 1923, it too was in condition as good as gunfish's OM! I guess some of them are fortunate enough to lay in drawers for 80 years! Enjoy it!
BTW, do you mind if I ask how much it carved out of your gun budget?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it down to $450.00 OTD. It had been higher. We were looking at it for months. We didn't think it was going anywhere. Most of the guys that come into that shop are looking for guns to shoot people with, not collectables. We do shoot most of our guns. Somehow by accident, we seem to be acquiring quite a collection of various OM models. They seem to be available where we are. The 4" barrel is next, but that one is priced high.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Very nice picture! You got it down pretty good I think......
Interesting grips, I have to find out what some 1922 grips would look like for the Army SPecial (commercial) I picked up this weekend, but has some kind of "plain " wood?
This is what it looks like........................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts