Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about entering the world of 9mm AR-15 type rifles. Looking for pro and con on Colt's AR15 9mm Carbine (AR6951)and including any issues with their magazines?

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
The only issue with the magazines is that they're generally expensive. Brownell's sells their own brand magazines for the Colt and are top quality and much less expensive.

The carbine itself is excellent. You should be very happy with one. Current ones, for some time, have case deflectors. Early versions didn't.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I have a 9mm AR that I built using a DPMS lower and a RRA upper. It uses a mag block that takes inexpensive Uzi mags; it works very well. That said, if I were doing this now, I would look at Ruger's re-issue of their PC-9 carbine. It's a take down version, uses Ruger 9mm pistol mags, and comes with a substitute mag block that uses Glock mags. https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

·
Registered
643 Posts
We have a 6450 with the carry handle and standard iron sights. It's an absolute blast to shot and has been flawless to date.

As mentioned, the mags are pricey, mine came with 4 Colt mags that cost about $50 each. I bought some Stoner mags with the orange follower as a cheaper alternative and they have been flawless as well. One other thing, you will need a mag loader. Never used one in my life until we got this carbine, it's an absolute necessity.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've got a 9mm AR carbine but it's not a Colt, Colt carbines have a longer lifespan and have high resale values, I would highly recommend getting a Colt AR.

Mine is a Rock River Arms (RRA) brand which is a clone of the Colt AR6951, I built it myself way back in 2006 because I wanted an AR 9mm with a flat top receiver but Colt didn't have it early which they only had their flat top model around maybe in 2013.

I wanted to also build the RRA upper half but separate parts was not available back in early 2006 so I just bought the complete upper half, the lower half I fully built myself using RRA stripped lower receiver, Hahn magwell mag adapter, RRA internal parts, Bravo Company Mfg mil-spec size buffer tube, Magpul SL grip and Magpul SL-K carbine buttstock.

Since my magwell mag adapter is not pinned I also got another V M Hytech which uses UZI 9mm mags which I have some.

Colt 9mm mags are more money like around $50 or so but there are less expensive reliable mags like Metalform which makes mags for Colt, I have some older C Products stainless (black finish) mags and they're a hit or miss, but some I had works fine.

9mm carbines are great for practice, they could be usually used at indoors shooting ranges, not a s loud and less recoil, my kids and wife like to use it than my other Colt .223/ 5.56 caliber carbines.

My RRA 9mm carbine picture below with Daniel Defense drop-in rail system (no longer being made) and Surefire light.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just got a 6450 a week ago. It came with a mix of original and Brownell mags. The gun was flawless with both and I can't think of a reason not to get one. I like the carry handle on my 2011 gun but the 6451s have flip ups. I test fired it the other day and its easy peasy putting all the rounds in a 5" circle @ 25yards with irons. I am looking forward to seeing how good it is at a little more distance.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The 9mm AR-15's are fun--- deflectors started on the R6450 (green label) at @ TA 04000--- factory ("SMG") magazines (32-round) with chrome followers are somewhat difficult to find and can cost $125.00-$175.00!!!

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Hmm, I like shooting 9mm for fun. This system sounds like it would be an easy home defense system for my wife to use. I like having Colt guns, and this sounds like it may be something to invest in. I will do some more research before I invest, since I have some many guns to buy and not enough money, LOL

·
Registered
648 Posts
We have a 6450 with the carry handle and standard iron sights. It's an absolute blast to shot and has been flawless to date.

As mentioned, the mags are pricey, mine came with 4 Colt mags that cost about $50 each. I bought some Stoner mags with the orange follower as a cheaper alternative and they have been flawless as well. One other thing, you will need a mag loader. Never used one in my life until we got this carbine, it's an absolute necessity.
I completely agree with everything in this ^^^ post. My LE 6450 is my go to home defense weapon. When the Slick Willie ban ended, I picked her up for ~$600 and never looked back. It exhibits low weight, no recoil, low noise, and no muzzle blast. Even under stress, a unskilled shooter can easily hit a man sized target out to 100 yards, or more. Plus it's cheap to shoot.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys---- I finally got a chance to my hands on one these Colt new AR6951 9MM. My first impression, it look kind of cheapish. Are these Colt's durable? I could follow CWO4USCGET path and replace stock, grip if possible and forearm to fit my needs. At $1,100.00 I wouldn't think there will be a need to change all the furniture. Still a nice rifle, they would still have to order one in, the one I looked at was sold. Now I am not sure what to do.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Yes...they're durable. It's essentially a semi-automatic version of the Colt 9mm submachine gun used widely by police. If an M16/M4 is durable enough for combat the 9mm Carbine is durable enough for civilian use.

I replaced the collapsible stock on mine with a Magpul simply because I like it better.

Reactions: Coltsformysons

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Mark45 - I have absolutely no complaints about the Colt 9mm Carbine I have. I changed the hand guard on mine because I felt the factory two piece hand guard was bulky. I bought a UTG Pro Made in America hand guard, aluminum, and is very good quality.

WRT to spending $X.xx on the gun and then $Y.yy dollars to tailor it to your personal tastes, well I don't particularly care for the chrome plated plastic wheel covers. Someday I'll cough up the $1K (estimate) to replace the wheels!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I have no complaints about my Colt 9MM Carbine either. I changed the furniture to mirror what was on my 6920 and that was it until the tax stamps were received. Still need to dial it in more precisely, add a red dot and maybe a light, but it is real quiet with American Eagle 124 grain subsonic ammo.
-Craig

9MMSBRwithSuppressor.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone here, this is my first post. I have a Colt 9mm that I registered as an sbr. I was wondering if I can remove the mag block and use the lower as a normal.233 lower, or if the Colt 9mm has anything to prevent this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I completely agree with everything in this ^^^ post. My LE 6450 is my go to home defense weapon. When the Slick Willie ban ended, I picked her up for ~$600 and never looked back. It exhibits low weight, no recoil, low noise, and no muzzle blast. Even under stress, a unskilled shooter can easily hit a man sized target out to 100 yards, or more. Plus it's cheap to shoot.

just noticed that your model LTA 9mm is the same as mine with about 1200 digits higher S. number but the colt logo is different ( what a change !!!)
IMG_0035.jpg IMG_0036.jpg

I have both logos COLT and the prancing pony ,, I wonder why /when they made the change or addition.
PS that is a colt 3x20 scope on top and scary accurate too.
first time I installed it I hit a beer can at 50 yards and never moved the W/E one bit . I left it alone and has been on target since then. I have removed it once or twice but it goes right back to bulls eye .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts