Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a colt 9mm conversion for the 45 just change ejector, slide is marked colt MK IV series 80, on other side its marked 9mm conversion unite / have a few questions / cant find info. anywhere for it.,,,,,,,,,THANKS

[This message has been edited by JERICHO941 (edited 08-11-2004).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Generally speaking, converting a 1911 chambered in 45 ACP to a smaller caliber, other than .22 LR, is not always an easy thing. The frame feedramp in most 45 ACP's is cut deeper into the magazine well and has a slightly steeper angle than the 9mm, 38 Super and 10mm frames. This can present feed reliability when converting a 45 ACP frame to a smaller caliber. Probably the easiest way around this would be to cut the frame for a ramped barrel. You would still have to use a wider ejector for the smaller calibers as well as the matching slide stop, magazines, and recoil springs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
JERICHO941 is talking about the factory conversion kit and/or components from such a kit. I have one of these.

JERICHO941, Installation is straightforward, reliability of the pistol hasn't been an issue. Post your questions.

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I too have a factory Colt 9mm Conversion Unit for the Government Model. I always assumed they are kind of rare, but I do not know how rare. I bought mine new on a close out and have never installed it, or had it out of the box since.

I wonder how many were made?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JudgeColt:
I too have a factory Colt 9mm Conversion Unit for the Government Model. I always assumed they are kind of rare, but I do not know how rare. I bought mine new on a close out and have never installed it, or had it out of the box since.

I wonder how many were made?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I wonder also / I`ve never heard of these / I thougt it would be easy to stamp the slides / but I now know of three of these units / I wonder what year the started making them. THANKS FOR YOUR INFO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by bfoster:
JERICHO941 is talking about the factory conversion kit and/or components from such a kit. I have one of these.

JERICHO941, Installation is straightforward, reliability of the pistol hasn't been an issue. Post your questions.

Bob
[/QUI If you turn the slide over / next to the hammer block just off to the side , there is a round pin /what looks like a plunger or a stop thats spring loaded what is it and whats it for,. Are these forreal or is it easy to stampem yourself/ do you know about when they were made / what do the go for new and used / and what would be ture stamps on them/ THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND INFO. ON THIS PROBLEM CHILD.....JERICHO

·
Registered
97 Posts
JERIHCO941,

The conversion unit you have is most likely to be authentic. These were made during the mid 1980's. I'd think that given the prices listed below that the potential market (at this time) it wouldn't make it worthwhile for a "forger" to make and use a properly fixtured roll die. Any other method of lettering that's economically feasible could be spotted as "fake" given careful examination.

The left side of the slide is rollmarked

COLT MK IV
-SERIES 80-
The Colt Stallion is to the right of the lettering.

The right side of the slide is rollmarked

9 MM CONVERSION UNIT

The top of the barrel is rollmarked

CAL. 9MM LUGER
-PARABELLUM-

Blue Book listing on this conversion unit:

100% $675

98% $550

95% $450

90% $375

It sounds like the plunger you're asking about is the firing pin lock characteristic of series 80 Colt pistols.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts