Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With todays ammo shortage, I plan on setting up my reloading equipment to turn out a few hundred 9mm Luger rounds. I have everything on hand tools, brass, primers, powder and some jacketed bullets. I also have several hundred cast lead 9mm bullets that could be used but I have heard/read that they can be problematic in a semi auto firearm. I know that Glock doesn't want them used in their pistols but has any other manufacturer addressed the issue? This ammo would be used for steel plate matches so the loads don't have to be anywhere near "hot". However they will have to be stout enough to operate the pistol or carbine actions. Any thoughts!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what your asking for. Lots of people shoot lead bullets, I dont know about 9mm but I have shot them in my 45acp's. I personally don't care for them, just because they are dirty to work with and dirty to shoot. I prefer plated or jacketed. If your looking for load info, We would need to know the type and grain weight of your bullets and the powder you plan on using. I'm sure others on here will have info about lead in a 9mm. My 9mm luger load is a 124 gr.. Fmj over 4.2 grs. of bullseye. My load crono's about 1080 fps. out of my Sig p229.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cast bullets work fine in 9mm handguns that have conventional land and groove rifling like S&Ws, Browning HPs and Colts. The pistols with rifling like the Glock often lead badly with them. That was certainly my experience with a Glock when I first got one many years ago. My conventionally rifled 9mm handguns shoot just fine with cast bullets at jacketed bullet velocities.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought but it has been a good while since I loaded any 9mm ammo. I've been off chasing around things like 32 short and long Colt, etc. I have some appropriate loads listed in my notebook so keeping the velocities reasonable should not be a problem. I really was a bit uncertain about the polygonal vs land and groove rifling. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
145 Posts
With todays ammo shortage, I plan on setting up my reloading equipment to turn out a few hundred 9mm Luger rounds. I have everything on hand tools, brass, primers, powder and some jacketed bullets. I also have several hundred cast lead 9mm bullets that could be used but I have heard/read that they can be problematic in a semi auto firearm. I know that Glock doesn't want them used in their pistols but has any other manufacturer addressed the issue? This ammo would be used for steel plate matches so the loads don't have to be anywhere near "hot". However they will have to be stout enough to operate the pistol or carbine actions. Any thoughts!
When I got a Ruger P89 for the grandson I also bought reloading dies so that I could reload for it like I do for all the firearms I have, except the 22s. Jacketed bullets, like everything else, are getting increasingly more expensive so on the advise of one of the members here I checked out and then ordered 500 9mm cast bullets from ACME with the Hi-Tec coating.
They size and load nice and have been working great at the range with mild powder loads and no feeding or ejecting problems. Also,the coating does seem to keep the bore cleaner. Now I'm thinking of starting to coat the cast bullets I use in my 45acp revolver and 45/70 rifle at home with the same Hi-Tec coating that ACME uses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts