Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always enjoy looking at everyone's photos and thought I would share a rig that I recently finished. It's essentially a Threespersons' design with a thumbreak and a heavy forward cant made from 7/8 oz vegetable tanned leather with a calfskin lining.. I've never been a fan of double mag pouches as I feel singles more versatile but this one turned out fairly nice in a compact package. The belt is a dual layer 6/7 & 7/8 oz cowhide glued and stitched. I recently got a new maul and marble stone and it seems to make my cheap stamps pass off as something decent in my humble opinion :) Thoughts/critiques/comments welcome.

-Robert

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,081 Posts
Very nice workmanship.
The "secrets" to getting a good looking basket stamp is having the leather at just the right stage of casing and a firm bench with a hard no-give surface like marble.
That makes for good impressions with no bouncing or double stamps.

At this stage of skill you're ready to have a custom brand stamp made up to mark your work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Beautiful basketweave. Great, classic design for mags and 1911. I would feel a bit more comfortable if the front half of the triggerguard was covered in leather. Nice leather, I watched you progress and you are doing well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice workmanship.The "secrets" to getting a good looking basket stamp is having the leather at just the right stage of casing and a firm bench with a hard no-give surface like marble.That makes for good impressions with no bouncing or double stamps.At this stage of skill you're ready to have a custom brand stamp made up to mark your work.
Thank you for your compliments. I tried a new method of casing on this one by laying a piece of plexiglass over the wet leather to make the water go through instead of evaporate. It work pretty well. I had a stamp made back in January as customers complained about having no mark, mixed emotions for me as if you like it you'll say where it came from.
Beautiful basketweave. Great, classic design for mags and 1911. I would feel a bit more comfortable if the front half of the triggerguard was covered in leather. Nice leather, I watched you progress and you are doing well.
Thank you Zeke. The trigger coverage is a volatile subject so I'll just state I can make them either way.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Very nice looking work. Coincidently I visit my local leather guy every so often for saddle and tack work and he shows me some of the tools of the trade for basketweave and other designs. He has 2 work "stations" with marble inlay for stamping and cutting. It intriguies me on how he can transform a piece of leather into the desired form so effortlessly. I'm not so gifted; such is my bane in life ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice looking work. Coincidently I visit my local leather guy every so often for saddle and tack work and he shows me some of the tools of the trade for basketweave and other designs. He has 2 work "stations" with marble inlay for stamping and cutting. It intriguies me on how he can transform a piece of leather into the desired form so effortlessly. I'm not so gifted; such is my bane in life ;)
Thank you MtnSpur, my set up is slightly less sophisticated than his sounds like. I have a closet sized room to spread out in so the marble come on and off of my large bench when tooling. Sure would be nice to have a fixed bench with the marble recessed, though! I never thought myself artistic (still don't) but leather working is more a challenge than anything for me. I've only been playing with it a little over a year so who knows what time will bring for me.

-Robert

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I'm abit partial to basketweave and so I think nice work. Hopefully you'll post more holsters you;ve finished for us to see.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not only excellent leatherwork, but excellent photography as well!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your killing me. I keep checking my box for your holster to arrive. Guess the pic will do till it comes. Nice work on the others. Can't wait till mine comes

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great basket weave holsters ..I would love to see more tan and darker colored basket weave holsters for my colt trooper mark 5 and its a shame a lot of companies have discontinued making them ..only in special orderings ...which drove up the cost way to high...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great basket weave holsters ..I would love to see more tan and darker colored basket weave holsters for my colt trooper mark 5 and its a shame a lot of companies have discontinued making them ..only in special orderings ...which drove up the cost way to high...
If I owned a trooper I would be happy to oblige, I haven't stumbled across one at a price point I'm comfortable with just yet. One of these days.... I've found the same problem with most revolvers, the problem is unless you own the gun molds aren't really available for a lot of them. Makes it an expensive business venture. I'll add another picture, I posted a thread here when I finished it, but probably my favorite rig to date.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd love to see a catalog of what you offer for sale.
I'm looking for a reddish brown lined open top holster
with no top strap and covered trigger for a 5" barrelled commercial 1911.
Plus a matching belt and (2) two mag pouches.
Can you do it for me?
Thanks,
Darryl

I forgot to add, plain leather without the fancy stuff!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd love to see a catalog of what you offer for sale.
I'm looking for a reddish brown lined open top holster
with no top strap and covered trigger for a 5" barrelled commercial 1911.
Plus a matching belt and (2) two mag pouches.
Can you do it for me?
Thanks,
Darryl

I forgot to add, plain leather without the fancy stuff!

Hey Darryl, I shot you a PM.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Hello everyone, I have two of BigRobs holsters , both full basket weave. I know leather work and I know hands-on craftsmanship, ( I had a leather hobby for many years). I see Robert's work as some of the best you can get and he was very considerate of a few custom changes I wanted. I will buy more! Sorry, no photos just yet, my camera is on vaction with one of my younguns. Regards RG

1 - 20 of 26 Posts