Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a Remington Model 37 22 Target Rifle. This gem came in the other day and now resides in my collection. It is a Heavy Barrel all out target rifle designed to compete against Winchester Model 52s. They are considered to be a top shelf gun of their day and still very desirable today. First gun for 2020!

IMG_9428.jpg IMG_9452.jpg IMG_9467.jpg IMG_9488.jpg IMG_9472.jpg

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
"Top Shelf"...ain't no doubt about that! Winchester M-52's I see quite regular, Remington M-37's...hardly never! Is it U.S. stamped?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No US Stamp. There were only a little over 12,000 of these made compared to a much larger number of Winchester model 52s.

·
Registered
440 Posts
A Not seldom seen rifle but a real work of art. Nice even with out checkering. Is the trigger guard housing metal or plastic? I have one of the Mossberg Target rifles in 22lr, forgot model number but the trigger guard was made of plastic otherwise a fine rifle.

·
Premium Member
4,245 Posts
I have owned a couple of the Remington Model 37s and they were really great shooters. As good today as they were all those years ago. A very knowledgeable gunsmith friend of mine once told me that these guns had a very slightly tapered barrel (a little smaller internal diameter toward the muzzle) and that was the reason they shot so well. He developed his own technique of "taper-lapping" .22 rimfire bores like the 37's and many of his custom guns were top winners in bench rest .22 matches.

- Bruce

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Not seldom seen rifle but a real work of art. Nice even with out checkering. Is the trigger guard housing metal or plastic? I have one of the Mossberg Target rifles in 22lr, forgot model number but the trigger guard was made of plastic otherwise a fine rifle.
Remingtons and Winchesters were all steel. Mossberg used a lot plastic and stamped parts to keep the price low. While they were not the quality of a Remington or Winchester they were still fine guns and better then most stuff you can find on the market today. I have several Mossberg Target rifles and a couple are US marked. There are metal replacement trigger guards made for these guns. The plastic Mossberg used was an early one and it often shrinks and causes a poor fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts