Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These Colt Automatic Pistols Caliber 25 have consecutive serial numbers, appear to be in 100% perfect new shape (OK, 99%; nothing is ever 100% perfect), have gorgeous engraving on most exposed metal surfaces, and came with original boxes (matching per S/Ns) and papers. The Wilson book says they were made in 1973. They were stored away more than 25 years by seller before they were pulled out today and sold to me today. A true friend made the referral.

This is one classic way that great collectors' finds surface. A fellow has a treasure trove of his own collection. The seller needs to sell, or loses interest and firearms stowed away for decades are in play. This fellow went to a gun show, but left the guns home. My friend got his number, told me, I called immediately, made an appointment and drove 1.5 hours. I was the first to see these Colts, so I brought them home.

While I did Eezox them, I did not field strip them.

The seller said he was told they have ivory stocks and gold inlays. I see no gold. Are these stocks plastic or ivory? Does anybody know?

Yes, I will order the factory letter.

Should I share the number with you?

Tell you the financial cost?

Or did you want to hear what an interesting fellow the sell is? He is actually fascinating.

In computing the cost, do you include my time searching for gems like this? How about gas to go buy it - or reject it, if it fails to pass inspection? No. And no.

$2000 cash for the pair. Seller and I think it is fair.

I really like the way the face to face, look-at-one-anothers'-IDs, shake hands transaction was handled with two friendly old guys doing a 100% legal transaction to the benefit of both.

They are not Colt 1908 Vest Pocket Pistols; these are built later and have no grip safety.

What do you think of this brace of Colt Automatic Pistols .25 Caliber?

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Very nice! They look factory engraved to me. I can't tell if they are ivory from the pics. To check ivory, I remove the grips, heat a straight pin, and push it in the back side. You can tell the way it "melts". Ivory smells bad and doesn't "mush" like plastic. It leaves a very tiny small spot hardly noticeable.

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
You really had us going when the initial reference was to matched Vest Pockets! There is a huge difference between Vest Pockets and Automatic .25s.

If these guns are factory, the stocks should letter if they are ivory, which it does not appear they are. The "hot pin" test will answer that question before the letter arrives.

What does the small sticker that appears on the box end labels say?

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Excellent pair and a heart warming story of the find and purchase. They are a beautiful addition to your collection and I'm sure you'll treasure them all the more because of the story behind their storage and transfer to your ownership. If not ivory they could possibly be a bone material but nevertheless look like they are well fitted to the pistols.

Congratulations Collects !!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Very nice pair. I've always enjoyed seeing pistols such as these raised to such an artistic level. Everybody has seen the engraved SAA's and Gov't models, but you don't see these everyday. My thought on the grips is why would someone invest the cash to engrave them, then scrimp on fake ivory? The aforementioned "pin test" will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have never heard of a Colt Jr being factory engraved but anything in possible from Colt. My previous estimates were based on the pair being 1908 Models. I have no idea what these guns are worth, if factory engraved they should still have some value although much less than 1908 models. The letter will give you a better understanding of the value for sure. Below is some information on the model you have.

The Junior is basically an Astra "Cub." Early versions used a US made frame and Astra parts.

Manufactured by Astra in Spain for Colt 1958-68 - Colt "Junior" Pocket Models were made by Astra Firearms in Spain (Under Colt Contract) in 1958-68

Manufactured by Firearms International for Colt 1970-73 - Made in Spain under contract with Colt Manufacturing, and distributed by FIE in Miami,Florida between 1970-1973. They were only made by FIE in 1971.

It is a contract handgun and not actually made by Colt.
They were never produced anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
I think those are Jay Scott stocks (notice the wood backing). They are not Ivory. In any case, a really nice pair of Colt Automatic 25s.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I think those are Jay Scott stocks (notice the wood backing). They are not Ivory. In any case, a really nice pair of Colt Automatic 25s.
Good Eye! I think you are right. They wont be Ivory unfortunately.

I was very concerned for you when I heard the guns were not 1908s and what was paid. After seeing these beautiful guns, I think you are still alright. If they letter as factory engraved (sorry to say that is very unlikely) then you did very well no doubt. But if you are keeping them, it really doesnt matter what the resell value is, does it? One thing is for sure, there isnt many of those engraved floating around! They are Beautiful Guns, Congrats!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for all the nice comments, and good wishes, etc.

Since the stocks are wood-backed, I cannot do the pin test without damaging a visible portion of the stocks. They look too yellow to be ivory. The Colt letter will tell me if they are ivory.

Judge Colt, the little stickers on the upper right hand corner of the label on each box each bear four digits (different, non-sequetial numbers on the two boxes), and are scratched out in pen. I have no idea what the purpose of those labels might be. Inventory numbers at a store?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Colt Junior different from the Colt Automatic Pistol Caliber .25? The Colt Junior comes in a smaller box and was built in Spain. I am trying to remember if the Colt Junior has import marks, or country of origon (Spain) marks on it.

Neither the pistols in this thread, nor their boxes have country of origon marks, or import marks. However, the wood on the inside of the stocks is stamped in ink "Colt Junior." Lacking import marks means the pistols were manufactured in USA, doesn't it? Would Colt Junior stocks be used on Colt Automatic Pistol Caliber .25s?

It is unfortunate that these are not Colt Vest Pocket Pistols, as initially represented to me, but things that seem too good to be true usually are not true.

I thought that $2,000 is a bit steep, but since the condition is so high and the quality of engraving so fine, and consecutive serial numbers on vintage matching NIB Colts are rare to find, so I went ahead and bought them. If the pistols letter, perhaps the value will be a bit higher than I thought. One reason I splurged: These were a 60th birthday present to me from me, since I turned age 60 the day before the purchase, as I was arranging the acquisition. It was an exciting but short chase to acquire these guns, as I bought them two days after learning of them.

The seller has a brace of cased Colt .22 short "Lady" derringers, brass finish (Seller thought they are gold) consecutive serial numbers, asking $600 (too high), of no interest to me. He has an AMT pistol chambered in .22 mag, which he claims is rare and worth a lot of money. To me, it is just an AMT and unworthy of any consideration. He has a Colt (I forgot the name), the smaller version of the SAA, with .22 lr and .22 mag cylinders, no box or papers, about 80% condition; I lost interest as soon as I picked it up (still loaded). He is keeping a S&W Model 586, 6" bbl., 150 Anniversary of the Cleveland Police Department special edition, new condition in a nice locking display case, to eventually gift to his son, which was my suggestion to him. Since seller is a retired Cleveland PD officer, that S&W means more to him than to me. He has a 4" heavy barrel S&W Model 10, his former duty weapon, which he has shot men with, which I also suggested he keep and pass down the line to his son one day (he agreed.) Not surprisingly, I am not the only buyer pursuing the seller.

I almost never sell guns, so the resale value is not particularly meaningful to me. ...but I might sell, if I were to receive a windfall of cash with which to buy additional Colts.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Collects - The 80% Colt was a Frontier Scout, undoubtedly. Last gun show I attended a fella had 2 sets of cased "lady derringers" that had an original price of $500 per but he had a "Show Special" of $600 for both. Still, IMHO, way too high and of no interest to me either. :).... I have a 4th model I got for $50 some years ago cause it was "kinda cute" (hey I was going through a tough phase in my life :rolleyes:...)....

Is the backing on the stocks a dark red colored wood? Reason I ask is the backing on my NS stocks is a dark red colored wood and wondering if some stocks were special ordered on a contract basis by Colt. :confused:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, MtnSpur, the wood backing on the stocks if reddish. Yes, I think the Colt revolver was a Frontier Scout. Thanks for jogging my memory.

I ran across an AMT .22 mag. like the one the gentleman had for sale, at this location: ARMSLIST - For Sale: amt automag 22 magnum.

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
The Astra-made Colt Junior is marked "Made in Spain for Colt's." (Or something very similar - haven't gone to the vault to confirm.) The Automatic .25 was made in Florida by Firearms International. They are physically identical, except for the magazine button cutout on the later Spanish guns. (tm17 (?) has posted at length on that issue.) That is the reason the stocks on these pistols refer to the Junior.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The gun pictured in the GB ad is the later model Colt Automatic .25 -- not the Junior. The seller is mistaken in the description. If the serial number starts with "OD' it is a Colt Automatic .25.
Is the OD serial numbered model the latter made by FIE ?

John

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
All Automatic .25 pistols with the OD serial number prefix were made by Firearms International (FI), not Firearms Import & Export (FIE).

It is common for Colt Automatic .25 pistols to be misidentified as Colt Junior pistols.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The subjects of this thread are indeed excellent samples of the American Made Colt Automatic .25.

I am constantly on the look out for these pocket companions and can assure you I have never seen one sell anywhere close to $1k, but at the time of the transfer, this pair was apparently worth $2k as that is what the seller received. The most I have ever paid was $500 for an early production flawless LNIB Spanish made Junior in .22 short. The American Made guns generally go for less than the Spanish guns in similar condition.

How much value the engraving adds I do not know.

How much value having consecutive serial numbers adds I don't know.

I do know I would love to have the two guns to gift to my two grandsons, but I don't love the guns enough to put down $2k.

I have several sets of Jay Scott stocks NIB, but none of them are faux ivory, nor do I have a set simialr to those on these little guns. All of the Jay Scott panels have "#35" (remove quote marks) ink stamped on the frame side of each panel and on the white and light blue striped Jay Scott box. Jay Scott, Franzite, Tyler TruFit, and others made aftermarket panels for these guns.

I have never known of Colt Factory Engraving to be done on these guns, and hope Collects will attempt to get Colt to letter these guns and inform us on that issue.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts