Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
They both look great. Would love to have that .45. Did your Police Positive come from the factory with the short barrel or did that happen sometime after?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Abe:

Is the Police Positive one of the 300000 serial number series guns?

·
The Consummate Collector
6,658 Posts
Yes, its a factory original

SN 384XXX, but it falls into the DS serial number range for some reason
Abe. Your 2 1/2" Police Positive is serialized with the Police Positives while the Detective Specials are serialized with the Police Positive Specials. These are two different serial number ranges.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Abe:

I believe your 32 is what is known as the "32 on a 38 frame". They don't fit into the regular serial number sequence and started around 1927 in the 300000 range. If you have Wilson's TBOCF, he discusses them on p.381 under the Police Positive 38 model.

In my opinion, the 2.5 inch version is one of the least common of all Colt snubbies. I was lucky enough to pick one up a while back. Yours is the only other one I recall seeing on the Forum. I also handled one at one of the CCA shows a couple of years back. Here is a previous thread on my gun:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/29545-another-police-positive-snub-nose.html

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Abe. Your 2 1/2" Police Positive is serialized with the Police Positives while the Detective Specials are serialized with the Police Positive Specials. These are two different serial number ranges.
After looking at Gary Peer's excellent book again and then comparing the serial numbers of the various PP's at Proofhouse.com, I think that this one shares the serial number sequence with the Bankers Specials, moving it on into 1939 .....

what do you think?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Abe:
That would be my guess also. Thanks for posting this interesting little gun. The automatic is not too shabby either! :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
But where does that leave yours? it doesn't seem to fall into any of the handy serial number sequences
Excellent question, I have never gotten around to lettering the gun but have assumed somewhere between 1927 and 1930, based on Wilson's assertion that the large frame 32s began around that year with serial number 300000. You are correct that the Proofhouse does not seem to reference that range. Of course, it was not uncommon for Colt to issue these numbers out of sequence.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was just viewing the Police Positive sticky in the photo sections and it appears that Hopalong has one of these too...
Have you asked him for data? Its shown at the bottom on page 2 of that string

·
The Consummate Collector
6,658 Posts
Abe. Bayouboy has it correct when he said that your gun is a .32 on the .38 frame. These were serialized from 300,000 to about 412,000. Your S/N 384XXX falls in this range and shows a date of manufacture at about 1939. Colt offered the .32 caliber on the smaller .32 frame and also on the larger .38 frame. I took a few pictures of each to show the difference.

.32 Police Positive 2 1/2" on a .38 frame. S/N 302xxx

.32 Police Positive 2 1/2" on a .38 frame. S/N 306xxx

Nickel .32 Police Positive 2 1/2" on a .38 frame. S/N 323xxx

Three revolvers shown together.

Four 2 1/2" Police Positive .32's on the .32 frame. The serial numbers range from 147XXX-232XXX.

2 1/2" Police Positive .32 on the .32 frame with original box.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those are great examples there ,,, very hard to imagine upgrading.

This is why I love collecting Colts. Its has enough challenges, even for the most dedicated collector.

When would the 412,XXX have been sold?

·
The Consummate Collector
6,658 Posts
Abe. Does your gun have the checkered trigger? I should have mentioned that my nickel gun has a checkered trigger while the two blue guns do not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts