1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
005.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
Won this 1917 Government Model this past week and so far everything looks good.
I started the process with Colt and hope Paul finds something interesting. If the Archives could help figure out what is written on one of the grip panels it could be really interesting. The first line fades off after D A The second line is 102nd.
001.jpg 002.jpg

A Ding from Duty
Is a thing of Beauty

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, yes Rick that one came out with the screw. Luckily I could feel it and was more careful in removing the grip by keeping the top level with the bottom. I removed them for an initial "deep soaking" to remove some build up of dried oils and wasn't prepared to tackle getting the bushing separated from the screw. I was thinking that I will pick up the correct locktite and go through the process to get them to come apart.

It's been years since I've had this happen, is there a better way than the locktite? The other bushings all look to be the originals so I wouldn't want to do anything that could mess it up.

·
Registered
11,363 Posts
Put a drop of penetrating oil on the bushing/screw and let it work. Use a thin piece of leather or tough plastic to protect the threads and clamp the bushing with vise grip pliers, adjusting slowly so as to not over tighten. Work the grip screw loose and try it several times to be sure that it is working freely, then clean up the busing and receiver and Loctite.

It is not unusual to find the bushings that were not staked properly to begin with, and with a little rust the screw and bushing come out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts