Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's proof that Colt at one time actually considered making the Python a more economical gun.
This would have been terrible. Then again, they may be still making it today for a much cheaper price point.
It's obvious that Colt considered going away from the hand honed fine piece of machinery we've all come to love.
The pictures below prove this point.
Colt actually considered mating the vent ribbed Python barrel to the cheaper to build MARK III frame.
This would have made the Python MARK III as shown below.
Can anyone else see the beginning of the Colt Boa here ?

Side note: I did own both of the experimental Python MK III's, but sold one to a friend a couple years ago.
I know that he tried to sell it a while ago as he now has health issues.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow I am in awe of your collection of one of a kind pythons. I have been reading all of your experimental threads and they are very interesting to say the least. Very nice collection and keep the info coming.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Jeff,the other PMK III showed up on GB a few weeks ago with a poor description.It did not garner much action and failed to sell.Thanks again for the education.D*

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff,the other PMK III showed up on GB a few weeks ago with a poor description.It did not garner much action and failed to sell.Thanks again for the education.D*
When he first tried to sell it I believe the bids went to around $6500-$7000 and did not sell.
I don't know how high his reserve was.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Thanks for another great post.

This gun with Python markings: 'Yuck. I'm not interested, cheap version of the real Python.'

This gun with Boa markings: 'I have to own this rare gun and am willing to pay big money.'

Ah, the vagaries of the collecting world.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Since you are the Jedi master of rare Pythons ,do you happen to have a King Cobra in stainless with a Python barrel? I understand that at the end of the King Cobra run ,Colt had frames but no barrels ,so they put some together with the still in production Python barrels ,but marked them King Cobra. I have seen one.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you are the Jedi master of rare Pythons ,do you happen to have a King Cobra in stainless with a Python barrel? I understand that at the end of the King Cobra run ,Colt had frames but no barrels ,so they put some together with the still in production Python barrels ,but marked them King Cobra. I have seen one.
Yes, you are correct in that a few King Cobras showed up with vent ribbed barrels at one time. They in fact are roll marked King Cobra.
Since they have no markings in any way that refer to the Python, I do not have any in my collection.

Sorry about that, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Yes, you are correct in that a few King Cobras showed up with vent ribbed barrels at one time. They in fact are roll marked King Cobra.
Since they have no markings in any way that refer to the Python, I do not have any in my collection.

Sorry about that, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
Are you still into King Cobras? When I first joined I steered you to a stainless 2 1/2 incher best buy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts