Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From a non-Colt forum, I don't know whether this guy is referring to a cherry finish - or means bright polished stainless that APPEARS cherry due to depth of polish and light reflection. Either way, look at his question:

"I have a fairly cherry bright stainless Python and in certain reflection it looks a very sexy black. Is there any refinish option to make a polished stainless black or black'ish without loosing the mirror smoothness?

Thank you. "

I replied to post it here with a photo + serial. Hope he does.

I think he should immediately have it refinished in plaid.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
my guess is his fairly cherry comment refers to it being in near mint condition.

·
Registered
382 Posts
How old are you GVF ? Referring to something as being "Cherry" is old school , I guess but, we used that phrase a lot when I was younger when something was very nice ! As an example, That '55 Chevy is really cherry ! As a teenager in the mid '50's and early '60's, I heard it a lot but usually in reference to a car.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old are you GVF ? Referring to something as being "Cherry" is old school , I guess but, we used that phrase a lot when I was younger when something was very nice ! As an example, That '55 Chevy is really cherry ! As a teenager in the mid '50's and early '60's, I heard it a lot but usually in reference to a car.
AH yes, I remember now..... well then, he has a bright stainless he wants to refinish in black. Something tell me he doesn't know the value of what he has.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Owner has another post up, by "cherry" he meant it APPEARS cherry in light reflections. My advice was still to find the value of what he has before refinishing - unless he knows already. After all, he could know - it's his gun. Maybe he doesn't care if value is lost by losing original finish.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Gotta agree with that, GVF ! I think Smith & Wesson actually had a Model 686 that had some kind of black finish on it but it was easily scratched and fragile. It did not last long in their catalog. Why in the world would someone want a black finish on a BSS Python ?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Gotta agree with that, GVF ! I think Smith & Wesson actually had a Model 686 that had some kind of black finish on it but it was easily scratched and fragile. It did not last long in their catalog. Why in the world would someone want a black finish on a BSS Python ?
Right!

If i was even THINKING of having a bright stainless original finish refinished - and I wouldn't be - i'd have Colt, first tell me if it would work, and only with their firm YES and a specific warranty for replacement of Current Market Value if they screwed up - have them re-do it in Royal Blue.

But I wouldn't even think of it - crazy......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts