Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to choose berween 2 colts that have been in my family for completely different lengths of time.

1 in a 1st gen SAA in 38-40 that is pretty patina'd and worn, but action and everything is in good shape. Its been in my family since early 1920s. It was one of my great uncle's guns when working on the ranch.

The other is an, as far as I know unfired, 98%(it may be 99% but I try to be real conservative when it cones to condition] condition Colt National match made in 1960. It was given to my grandfather BNIB by a neighbor rancher in appreciation for my grandfather letting him water his livestock on my grandparents place during the 50s drought in Texas when his tanks went dry. My grandfather promptly put it in his display cabinet right next to his service 1911, and as far as anyone knows, he never fired it or took it out of that case except to occassionally oil it.

I am leaning towards the NM just because I like the ranching story connection to the 50s drought, which ranchers still talk about, even after the 2011-14 drought.

But I know less about 1960 NMs then I do 1st gen colts, so any advice would be appreciated.

No I can't get both, the other gun goes to my cousin.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
The nib National match is worth at least double the SAA in terms of monetary value. Nib 60s NMs go anywhere from 2k to 6k depending on near perfect guns/sleeves, paperwork, etc. The top guns have the goodies plus no takedown mark. Some refer to it as an “idiot mark”. Guess I’m an idiot as I’ve done it myself:(. The takedown mark is a big deduction on these. It’s the line on frame from the slide stop being rotated down. If you start carrying it and shooting then they would probably be about even money, probably around that 2k mark. I’d take the National match but I never was much of a single action guy. They are growing on me again tho. The service 1911 is the one I’d be after if it was my fathers, I know that’s not part of the option tho.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is what I am wrestling with. The NM was actually my grandfather's gun and I feel more connected to and is in much nicer shape.

But the 1st gen SAA 38-40 which belonged to his brother and has set in my Uncle's safe the last 40 years was an actual working gun and is an SAA....

Not complaining about the decision. I am thankful my Uncle has held onto so many family guns and is letting them go in his 80s rather then letting it be a mad scramble and fight after he is gone.

Its just a tougher choice then I thought.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Having been raised in South Texas during the drought of the 1940-1950's, your grandfather's pistol would be an easy choice.
Those were very hard time and many, many ranchers went under, financially and physically.
That pistol is more than just a piece of machinery, it is a symbol of your grandfather's character, integrity and values.
Honor him and his life.
Family is more important than $$.

rayb

·
Registered
632 Posts
One was a gift that sat unused and therefore really unconnected to its new owner while the other is a bonafide family heirloom that served well for decades...

Easy decision for me :)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Having been raised in South Texas during the drought of the 1940-1950's, your grandfather's pistol would be an easy choice.
Those were very hard time and many, many ranchers went under, financially and physically.
That pistol is more than just a piece of machinery, it is a symbol of your grandfather's character, integrity and values.
Honor him and his life.
Family is more important than $$.

rayb
To me, this is your answer.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I like SAAs but in this case I'd grab the GCNM. Pretty neat story about the drought and helping out neighbors.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My take is a little different:

The NM wasn't really your grandfather's in the sense that he bought it and used it as his gun. It was a gift, put away, and never really used by your grandfather. Yes, he owned it but didn't acquire it as a personal use gun that he wanted/used. The family connection seems to be seeing it languish in a display case for years - of course the story is a good one that testifies to your grandfather's generosity, not use of the gun.

The SAA was purchased and used in the family because your great uncle wanted it (a necessary tool) and carried it on the ranch/range for many years. Family members probably remember seeing him wearing/using it and there may be family pictures showing him with it. A true family connection, in my opinion.

The choice is your's but for me I'll take the gun, not the story = SAA. And I would get a Colt letter to further (hopefully) document family history, i.e., where shipped, who ordered?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts