Colt Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I would sit down with the cousin and get his input. With either gun your a big winner. Guns arent worth a family fight. (Except for the ones my ex stole). I cant tell you how many I have and have had pass through my hands. I wanted them all. But the truth is the majority of them have only been shot a few times and have spent 99.99% of their time sitting in my dark safe. Then someday we find ourselves a old man and wonder what we should do with them or what worthy is going to get them and will they care at all? If a person has just one or a couple they get used a lot and mean more. When you have 50ish none got used to the point they deserve family heirloom status. I aint making points here, am I?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well my older cousing who got to pick ahead of me originally choose the gun I was hoping to get. But he has changed his mind and asked if I would be ok with him picking the NM instead. I am completely fine with that as it means I get the 1896 .45 that my grandfather carried on the ranch and was the first single action I ever shot!

I am thrilled!

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Whether picking a car, suit, or wife, pick what you want, and not what someone else wants.
This is about as sound advice as anyone can receive. I have found myself buying guns I thought were mediocre simply because everyone was and I thought the thing to do. After awhile I think why did I buy that, I don’t even really like it that much. Everyone is impressionable at least a little if they admit it or not. The Colt python is a good example. Me personally I really do like the python, but I saw SAA collectors and woodsman collectors dumping their guns at a bargain to buy inflated “snake” guns comparatively at the time. This was a phenomenon in the gun world I personally have never seen before. I think it just comes down to the old saying keeping up with the Jones. Some want to beat the Jones. Me personally, I’d just as soon the Jones move to the nice gated community on the other side of county and prosper there :). By using Johnny’s advice, I think the OP already knows which he likes better.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The biggest driven factor in the collecting field I believe is "rarity". If a car, gun or whatever else is considered rare, it is highly sought and people will pay a much huger price than probably a comparable item that might be better and far cheaper. Why? To make others jealous and pizzed off? Because they think it must be the best because it`s the highest price? Maybe they buy it strictly as a investment and believe it will still go higher? Most collectors of ANYTHING probably own a similar item that they will use but not the rare item. If there was no one to admire our good taste would we bother to buy that expensive rare object?
“Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity” (v. 2).
- Ecclesiastes 1:1-11

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
"Rare" is a factor but not everything when it comes to value. A 1969 Corvette with the base 3-speed transmission is rare...the vast, vast majority were built with the upgraded 4-speeds or automatics. They might be rare but have little market value because no one wants them for anything but to modify. Now...a Python with a 2-digit serial number is even more rare and the market value reflects it. A single-digit Python is even more rare and values reflect that.

Cars and guns...not exactly apple-to-apple comparison except in certain circumstances.

Reactions: waltesefalcon

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Kingcobb said:
Well my older cousing who got to pick ahead of me originally choose the gun I was hoping to get. But he has changed his mind and asked if I would be ok with him picking the NM instead. I am completely fine with that as it means I get the 1896 .45 that my grandfather carried on the ranch and was the first single action I ever shot!

I am thrilled!
I would be too! IMO I'd consider you a lucky man either way :) But nothing special about a 1960 NM. And likely why it sat admired but unused. I'd guess your ancestor really appreciated the gesture, just not the gun.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My great uncle had no kids. Which is why my uncle inherited his firearms when he passed.

The NM set in the case for I am certain the same reason his service 1911 from WWI set in the case. He apparently told his kids he had fired that 1911 enough in Europe and had no interest in ever shooting one again.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts