Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my stuff I have this Remington 1875 with a shortened barrel. I kept it because I liked the patina. Like almost every ‘75 I have encountered it has issues. This one is actually pretty good, except it needs another hand. Of course, I won’t try to shoot it as the very thin cylinder has a hole in one of the notches. Estimated 20-30,000 made. And yes, I know Baden Powell and Frank James had one. Risky business. This one bares the serial number 134XX. One of the first 14,000 made it is in Remington CF caliber. Strangely, I have encountered many mint ones.
CAC39B63-86A5-4E8A-982E-72CD63274489.jpeg
3E2307E8-6301-4F1A-9302-DFD99AE3B7B7.jpeg

·
Registered
7,238 Posts

No problems with my Cimarron 1875... in the less common chambering of .45 Colt...{ Circa 2019 }.

Caliber.45 COLT / .45 ACP Dual Cylinder
Barrel Length7.5 "
Style1875 Outlaw
FrameCCH
FinishStandard Blue
GripWalnut
Weight2.6 #

Designed to compete with Colt's 1873 single-action, the original 1875 Remington revolver has a similar, yet distinctive look all its own. Around 25,000 of these sleek six-shooters were manufactured from 1875-1889, and were held in high esteem by many Western Legends, including none other than the notorious outlaw Frank James, who praised its handling capabilities, as did noted 1880's Texas Ranger Bill McDonald. It was also the choice of the U.S. Department of the Interior, who purchased several hundred in 1883 as an issue sidearm to Indian Police for use on frontier reservations.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think one reason there are many mint guns is that the first 14,000 were only made in .44 Remington CF, ammunition was not generally available and stopped completely by 1895. That is about half the total estimated production of the guns.

Reactions: victorio1sw and jrm

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I got hooked on these from “Monolito” in The High Chaparral. Even after I saw his gun was actually a modified Hollywood Colt SAA. I gave mt 1st wife my nickel Uberti copy to sell when I was short on child support one month in the mid 80s. I wish Uberti made a faithful copy with correct cylinder pin release And not covered with Italian proof marks.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts

I got hooked...{ snip } I wish Uberti made a faithful copy with correct cylinder pin release And not covered with Italian proof marks.

" You can't always get what you want...but, if you try sometimes, you'll find...you get what you need. "

~~~ The Rolling Stones ~~~ Let It Bleed ~~~ 1969

·
Registered
67 Posts

No problems with my Cimarron 1875... in the less common chambering of .45 Colt...{ Circa 2019 }.

Caliber.45 COLT / .45 ACP Dual Cylinder
Barrel Length7.5 "
Style1875 Outlaw
FrameCCH
FinishStandard Blue
GripWalnut
Weight2.6 #

Designed to compete with Colt's 1873 single-action, the original 1875 Remington revolver has a similar, yet distinctive look all its own. Around 25,000 of these sleek six-shooters were manufactured from 1875-1889, and were held in high esteem by many Western Legends, including none other than the notorious outlaw Frank James, who praised its handling capabilities, as did noted 1880's Texas Ranger Bill McDonald. It was also the choice of the U.S. Department of the Interior, who purchased several hundred in 1883 as an issue sidearm to Indian Police for use on frontier reservations.

Nice. I have the same in 45LC as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I find these Cimarron clones dead on accurate...both my Brother and I own one...his is an SAA clone in .45 Colt.

I've been looking to change the grips for a while. Was looking into possible stag or fancy hardwood.
Cimarron (Uberti) makes nice reproductions. I also have a Uberti Winchester 1873 lever action sporting rifle with octogon barrel in .357.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
I've been looking to change the grips for a while. Was looking into possible stag or fancy hardwood. (snip)...
I recently got American Elk Antler stocks made for my Uberti 1875 above...just haven't made time to take new photos yet.

BTW...we got a few in house grip makers here...

CF Members gazelle ( Sack Peterson ) and LeverActionBill ( Bill Fuchs ) come to mind...

Sack crafted the set for my 1875... from American Elk Antler...and all the grip work I've seen from Bill puts him next in line for another project I have in the wings.

Also have a guy in Texas who just crafted me some splendid Bison Horn stocks for my Ruger Bisley Vaquero...yet more photos I need to take.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
I've been on Joe Perkins waiting list since 6/4/2020:

Joe Perkins <[email protected]>Thu 6/4/20 20:23
To:

Kevin, You are on the Waiting list.

When I call you, all you have to do is fill out the order form and send it in with the revolver/s.

Hang in there it is a bit of a wait.

Blind screw "right side" means no screws on the right grip panel.

You are #73 and I just called in #294 to #315, 38 revolvers.

Joe Perkins
Classic Single Action
2318 W. Rapallo Way
Tucson, AZ 85741
520-888-6799

===============

I'm awaiting Joe !!

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
That rakish buttress would surely make it a pleasure to reholster. I always liked the 1890. But hen's teeth, that one. Instead of the R-51, why didn't Big R re-do the 1875 or 1890? Pretty soon, it sounds, Remington may become the sibject of "what if" alternative histories.

Reactions: SHOOTER13

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
This is a very early Rem 1875 with serial number 908 (or 809). It is beloved to be factory engraved, or at least period engraved. This one is in 44 Rem caliber, as were all early production. The ivory grip installation is very different, with an added pin through the upper grip frame. So the grips are secured by two pins, rather than one pin and a grip extension tucked into the upper frame.

I am guessing that this one was produced in early 1875, maybe when Egypt began failing to pay for the 10,000 they contracted for? The gun came with this holster. This revolver is pictured on the inside cover of "Packing Iron" without any apparent mention in the book. I think this Egypt deal eventually killed off E. Remington & Sons as a company.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Here is a batch numbered (#556) Rem 1875 that remains a mystery. It is in 44-40 caliber. The "U.S. Earl Flora" - was that a ships name, or a man's name in some kind of U.S. service?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts