Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys:

The recent thread on the .32 OM by Moosedog prompted me to drag my own .32 out of the safe where it has resided since purchased a while back. I got the revolver in a trade and have not had the chance to study it much, until now. I thought perhaps some here might be able to shed some light on the non-standard features on this target gun. It is serialed 640830.

The most obvious mod has been the addition of the target stocks. They fit and feel good, so I think I will leave them on as period correct and part of the gun's history. I am not certain but I believe that they are Sanderson stocks. Can anyone say for sure?

Another feature of note is the wide target hammer. I see no markings on it. Can it be a King, or something else?

How about the front sight? It appears to be an addition as well. The 1940 Colt Price List says that the available front sights are a Patridge or a Gold Bead. This one is neither, and is unmarked. Again, is it a King or something else?

This revolver was obviously owned by someone who liked to shoot and who took good care of his guns. I have not shot it yet, but would not be afraid to do so. (I am a little short on .32 ammo, however, as I have had an utter lack of interest in that caliber my entire life. This revolver may change that.)

Anyway, any comments offered on the questions I posed would be welcome.

Regards to all,
Charlie Flick

·
Registered
178 Posts
Charlie,
I have been looking for a revolver like yours for years. I love the .32 Colt (or S&W long by another name). I shoot a Pardini .32 in matches and want a Colt .32 revolver to shoot the same ammo in a series of "vintage" revolver matches we have at our range. I have a matching gun in .22, but really love the .32, which actually has LESS recoil if that is possible. If you do the "math" you can easily see why. Besides, the revolvers are far less fussy to minor ammo changes than autos.
I am using a 100gr. wadcutter sized .312 over 1.4gr. VVN310. This is a 675-700fps load that is a tack-driver to 25yds. Useless @ 50yds. I really would like to know if and when you decide to sell the gun.
Terry

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Ordinanceguy thats a nice one indeed. The serial number on mine is 640608 which was made i'm told in 1939,so they may be cousin's. I do believe those are Sanderson grips. I've got to see alot of these since Sanderson was a Detroit Officer and there seem to be quit a few in the SE Michigan area although I only own one pair myself. I wish I could help on the other other features but my guess is that your assumptions are correct. I'll bet thats one sweet shooter. The 32 S&W Long / 32 Colt is an inherently accurate round and a pleasure to reload.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys, for the comments and input. Terry, if I ever decide to dispose of it I will certainly let you know. Your comments have encouraged me to shoot it, so now I will try to chase down some suitable ammo.

Thanks also to Moosedog and A1A. It seems that the stocks are indeed Sandersons, and the front sight a Roper. Not sure about the hammer as there seemed to be some minor differences between mine and the earlier post.

It is fun trying to figure these things out. I appreciate your help on this.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sometimes it is hard to pinpoint the smith who modified the revolver in question. Back when I had my FFL, a friend of mind had a Python and wanted a smooth, wide trigger, similar to what S&W produced. I took his trigger out, had a big glob of weld added to it, and made him the trigger he wanted. I never had call for another. If his son (my friend died several years ago) ever sells this gun, somebody out there may wonder where this trigger came from.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
That is a splendid O.M. Beginning to wish I hadn't passed on the one I saw in March,but this is where being a "shooter",instead of a collector,sways my judgement; while I reload for .32 S&W,it just doesn't give me the thrill of the big bores,even in the mild loadings.

I checked a copy of a King Gun Sight catalog and while I found their cockeyed and skeleton hammers-and they are marked "king" on side,no photo of the regular wide target hammer like yours. BTW,the .32 O.M. I looked at had an identical hammer,but I "know"(?) it wasn't factory.

I have never seen that front sight! It sure allows adjustment a helluva lot quicker than the factory Colt sight,and I wonder if it holds its setting under recoil.

Just checked a mid 50's Christy Gun Works catalog,and can't find the sights or hammer. Frank Pachmayr also sold custom parts.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm not a betting man, but I'm betting those stocks are Sandersons.
Please see below, on this 1936 vintage.
Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts