Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You never know what you're going to get!
I ordered this letter because I had reason to believe the gun was a pre war/postwar!
It wasn't, but it was a Hawaiian Police Gun! Interesting as it has no police markings at all.

Also note that it was shipped to Chicago!
Anyone know who W.S. Darley Company was?
Thanks, Guys (and Gals)

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
W.S. Darley is still in business, in it's humble beginnings they were based in Chicago and are now in Itasca, Illinois. they are suppliers to Municipalities of Police & Fire equipment and is still Owned by the Darley family. I believe they started their business in 1908.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just answered my own question?
Company is still in business as Darley Defense! Interesting history!

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Nice gun with an interesting letter.
Maybe it was for their pistol team?
I think instead of shooting bowling pins, they had pineapple shoots.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looking at the map, Koloa is on the southern tip of Kauai. Population now is only about 2,000. I would suspect that the gun was going to the communities only police officer back then.

Great find. Would love to find a Hawaiian police Colt. I came across a PPS that had been a Maui PD gun at a show in Honolulu when stationed out there. Can't believe I let it slip away.

Aloha,
Doug

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I just answered my own question?
Company is still in business as Darley Defense! Interesting history!
W.S. Darley's hasn't sold firearms in years. Their main business is fire dept. equipment, fire trucks and fire pumps. We have purchased fire equipment from them time to time through the years. Darley Defense was only started around 2 years ago and sells police apparel and supplies but doesn't sell firearms.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have a prewar Officers target also with no police markings but when i got my letter back it was a Hartford ,CT Police gun. Someone explained to me that they often used these guns for team matches so therefor they had no Police markings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts