Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on another forum:

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:44 pm Post subject: Need Colt revolvers info. please. Reply with quote
I just received as a gift from a very nice fellow officer 2 Colt revolvers. They have been passed down to him in his family. Since they are way older than I am, I need some info.
Both are original and have the Colt logo and believe me, they look alike. They both have original grips with Colt logo and marking. Original blueing and have little rust. Smooth actions, and no rear sight. Just a long channel. One has the marking "Colt Army Special 32-20 WCF" and the other "Colt .38 Police Positive". The gun with the 32-20 caliber is bigger than the .38 - both have pat. 1904.
Any info will be appreciated.

http://www.arizonashooting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17269

I referered him here.

It sounds like he got a couple of nice Colts.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bigger gun is the Colt Army Special 32-20 WCF. On top of the barrel, there is the following marking:
COLT'S PTFA MFG CO HARTFORD CT USA - PAT'D AUG 8 1884 JUNE 5 1900 JULY 4 1905
The serial # 589xxx. The horse logo has an arrow in its mouth, with the head bent down. The grip is wood.
The other gun is the Colt Police Positive .38 - same marking on top of the barrel, except the PAT'D is AUG 5 1884.
Serial # 38xx and has the same logo as the other one. The grip is plastic.
Hope these info. will help.
Thanks.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
welcome to the forum. your police positive was made in 1907, they were a very popular gun. your army spl actually fall`s in the official police serial range and i suspect the bbl may possibly been replaced with an army spl bbl. basically the 2 models are identical,the name changed in 1927 along with a change to wooden stocks and some better heat treat. your serial places d.o.m. at 1934. hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
welcome to the forum. your police positive was made in 1907, they were a very popular gun. your army spl actually fall`s in the official police serial range and i suspect the bbl may possibly been replaced with an army spl bbl. basically the 2 models are identical,the name changed in 1927 along with a change to wooden stocks and some better heat treat. your serial places d.o.m. at 1934. hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what caliber is the Police Positive? .38Special, .38Super, .38SW ....? Thanks.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i would assume it`s a .38 s&w, if it was marked special on the bbl roll it would be .38spl. you may measure the cylinder lenght to be certian. if the cyl is 1 1/4 long it`s for the short cartridge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts