Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Colt \"Ranch Revolver\"?? WHY NOT???

How come Colt insists on producing big boat anchor .44 revolvers??

I would like to see a Colt Anaconda version of the Smith Mountain Gun.

With a lightweight 4" tapered barrel and no lug, such a gun would sure appeal to me.

Anybody else agree???

------------------
John 3:16

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: A Colt \"Ranch Revolver\"?? WHY NOT???

I'd buy one if they made it for two reasons; one I like tapered/pencil barrel guns and two I don't own a 44 caliber of any type and am starting to get the "urge" and we all know what that "urge" can do to fella.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Hey Dick, I can ease the weight of your heavy pockets for you. Take a gander at some of the S&W M24-3 w/4" barrels that are now starting to pop back up. The .44sp is a sweet shooter and the M24 is of the old style with the tapered barrel.
I too wish Colt would have looked harder at the .44 caliber. A reproduction of the New Service Target would be fine by me.

Maybe I can get the N-frame bug to bite you too: http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=5937061

·
Registered
67 Posts

I thought Colt's had a lovely "Ranch" revolver...called the New Frontier in 44 or 45 Colt w/ 4-3/4 inch barrel.

------------------
"And the blithe revolver began to sing/ To the blade that twanged on the locking-ring..."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 256M-S:
I thought Colt's had a lovely "Ranch" revolver...called the New Frontier in 44 or 45 Colt w/ 4-3/4 inch barrel.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, it's got to be double action.

I guess I won't hold my breath, but I still think Colt's is missing a market for the buyer who desires a revolver that isn't obese.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

It would have been nice if they had offered an upscaled copy of the Trooper MkV as a second big bore revolver.
A blued Anaconda would have been greatly appreciated by me. Since I'm dreaming they could also chamber it in .41mag.
So many ideas, so little money.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Majic, thanks.

You hit the second nail on the head, I have been trying to find a decent M24, but have not seen one around here in two years or more. The one on AA is real nice but I seem to want to buy what I can see in my hand.
If I could find a nice M24 I would buy it in a second, 'cuase I think for an old dude like me a 44SPL is better suited for me than a Mag.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

I agree with 256m-s totally,on the New Frontier,with the 4 3/4" bbl. Have a very late one,in 44/40,that needed some "action work",out of the box,but is now great,and I've added and ftted an extra .44 Special cylinder. Double Action?? How often will you need this for what a "ranch revolver" or "mountain gun" is used for,and then can you control the recoil to get back on target much faster than the old thumbuster coming back down from recoil can be cocked & fired S.A? I will concede the slow loading might be a hinderance against coyotes or feral dogs that attack in packs,about the only type of pack attack here in N.N.E "wilds". Bud

·
Registered
991 Posts

I shoot .44SP in my model 29 all the time and it is a really sweet load.

Majic...thanks for the info. I didn't know the Model 24 had the tapered barrel. I always thought I wanted one. Now I know I do!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts