Colt Forum banner

A Colt Revolver without a name

3K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  BigJake 
#1 ·
An experimental Colt revolver from yester-year

Cam

See less See more
#3 ·
There doesn't appear to be enough ejector rod to come close to ejecting spent shells.

Reactions: VaqueroAZ
#12 ·
From what I understand the SSP was a resurrection of the 1971 program in 1979. The SSP stands for Stainless Steel Pistol and had a few improvements including an ambidextrous safety and removable fire control group. Since this one is carbon steel it should be a 1971.

#15 ·
As I understand it, Colt management was going to call it the Colt "Windicator" - but someone beat them to it.

#24 ·
I have this stainless .357 from the same auction that was made in late 1960s as one of MKIII prototypes. I keep it because I think that it’s probably the first stainless .357 Colt which was made almost 15 years before the Python and even 6-8 years before the first stainless S&W Model 66. I've actually fired it.

Attachments

#25 ·
Interesting mix of features. Looking at the ratchet and recoil shield, it looks like Mk III or later type of action. Transfer bar ignition. Trigger guard reminds me of earlier D-frames, the grips again like Mk III. I'm trying to figure out what necessitated the thicker frame overall, were they trying to strengthen the frame for a larger loading, like .357? Perhaps an early Magnum Carry prototype? Or was that to fit the transfer bar mechanism? Push button cylinder release, kinda like the Ruger GP100.

I'll have to watch that one.

#27 ·
As I recall, at the close of the ‘90’s Colt was set to introduce a multi-caliber d/a revolver, which would shoot 9x19 as well as .38, .357, etc. Then the lawyers shut down revolver production. Was the prototype ever exhibited at SHOT, etc? Love to see some photos of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.