Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this Commando that I bought from a coworker (a different one than sold me my SAA - work is good LOL) and I'm wondering if it's worth paying for the historical document from Colt. Is there an age or condition where the consensus is to get it lettered every time, or should it be based off of what you can find out over the phone? I've got $100 tied up in this one, and don't have a good idea of the value, so I don't want to go in the hole paying for a letter that may not mean squat in the big scheme of things. I know it's worth it for the SAA, but just can't make up my mind on this one. My other problem is that I can look at values in the book all day, but I'm not sure what percentage I'm dealing with here. I'd be happy for some ballpark figures and explanation if anyone can provide it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
You have a fairly nice, moderately sought after collectible item. It has alot going for it. Im my opinion your Commando is worth 600-650 bucks, I would save my money and letter something else of more value. You are not going to go in the hole regardless of what you do. I look at the value of the gun vs the cost letter ? Risk vs reward ? I dont see it here, but many people would letter this gun just for the history and the mystery.

John Fugate

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy crapola...I thought these were common and cheap unless in fantastic condition or with a fantastic story. I've been shooting the heck out of this one. Maybe I should take it easy...

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Your gun is fine to shoot, and looks to be in fairly nice condition. That crude finish, does not give these the prettiest look to begin with. These guns NIB are bringing 12-14 hundred dollars. You have a nice little gun,, shoot it, take care of it and enjoy it.

John

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Your gun is fine to shoot, and looks to be in fairly nice condition. That crude finish, does not give these the prettiest look to begin with. These guns NIB are bringing 12-14 hundred dollars. You have a nice little gun,, shoot it, take care of it and enjoy it.

John
I agree 100%. It looks to be in good shape but not so nice you'd have to be tempted to tuck it away and not consider shooting it. Mr Fugate is absolutely right...continue to have fun with it. (100 bucks!! I wish I could be "tied up in it" for that price!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I agree 100%. It looks to be in good shape but not so nice you'd have to be tempted to tuck it away and not consider shooting it. Mr Fugate is absolutely right...continue to have fun with it. (100 bucks!! I wish I could be "tied up in it" for that price!)
Thanks! The lady I got it from absolutely HATES revolvers for some reason. She just wanted it out of the house, so I offered $100 over the phone, sight unseen. I figured if it shoots, it's worth that. :D

I noticed that the cylinder locks up TIGHT for the moment that the round is fired. This would be hammer down, trigger fully to rear. Before the trigger is pulled, but with the hammer back, the cylinder has some slight wiggle. Is that normal, or an indication of an out-of-time gun? This is my only Colt DA revolver, so I'm fairly clueless.

EDIT: Crap, sorry. I FAIL. If you want to hide something, put it in the stickies. The morons like me will look right past it... :bang_wall:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts