Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Colt AGENT, S/N 625xx M, from the ColtForum Classifieds; as you can clearly see, it has the polished 'blue' finish. About 30 years ago, I owned/sold a Colt COBRA that, for all intents and purposes, looked exactly like this Agent IIRC.

Can someone please explain the difference(s) between this Agent and my, long gone, Cobra?

Could someone please tell me this Agent's DOB?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
...I see I shouldn't have responded to this question.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyway, if I understand the back-referenced link correctly, for this particular vintage Agent, other than the barrel marking(s), there is no difference compared to the Cobra...correct?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Cat, in the time frame of your gun, there is no difference except the name on the barrel.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
not completly correct, the cobra was once offered in .22, .32, .38,there were also bbl length options. the agent was never offered in any cal. except .38, or any bbl length except 2" in this instance there is no difference between a 2".38 cobra and the agent. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
A Question:

Wasn't the Agent supposed to weight a couple oz. less than the Cobra???? I don't have any that are this late, but my earlier Agents weigh less than the earlier Cobras I have... Thanks! Bob Best

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
While not applicable to the later models, the early Cobra had the old long grip frame and the Agent had the "Stubby" grip frame.

The Agent was intended to be a deep concealment hide-out gun, and as such, it had a very short butt with short grips, while the Cobra was seen as just a light weight Detective Special.

In the early 1960's Colt converted ALL "D" frame revolvers to the short grip to simplify production.

After this, the only difference between the Cobra and Agent was, the Cobra had longer wood grips that converted the stubby frame to a long grip, and the Agent usually retained the shorter grips.

Other than the grips, these later aluminum models were the same except for markings, and the wider range of calibers and barrel lengths offered in the Cobra.

·
Registered
75 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
While not applicable to the later models, the early Cobra had the old long grip frame and the Agent had the "Stubby" grip frame.

The Agent was intended to be a deep concealment hide-out gun, and as such, it had a very short butt with short grips, while the Cobra was seen as just a light weight Detective Special.

In the early 1960's Colt converted ALL "D" frame revolvers to the short grip to simplify production.

After this, the only difference between the Cobra and Agent was, the Cobra had longer wood grips that converted the stubby frame to a long grip, and the Agent usually retained the shorter grips.

Other than the grips, these later aluminum models were the same except for markings, and the wider range of calibers and barrel lengths offered in the Cobra.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dang, dfariswheel, I was going to say the exact same thing!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seriously, folks, and especially this is directed to the newer folks on this forum, this gentleman is about the most knowlegable person I have seen on the subject of Colt revolvers. Plus, he is willing to answer almost any question anyone has on Colts. Thank you, dfariswheel.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Also , towards the "end" they put he "dull" matte or parkerized finish on them and it seemed like they "used" up leftover parts from here and there.................
We used to get them in the shop, "new" from the distributors for like $169/189.........................

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I see I shouldn't have responded to this question.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just funnin' ya about asking for "expert" replies. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
...Seriously, folks, and especially this is directed to the newer folks on this forum, this gentleman is about the most knowlegable person I have seen on the subject of Colt revolvers. Plus, he is willing to answer almost any question anyone has on Colts. Thank you, dfariswheel.

[/ QUOTE ]
I DO appreciate everyone's comments and opinions, however, I couldn't agree with you more!

As a relatively new forum member, it didn't take long for me to see that dfariswheel possessed a wealth of Colt knowledge and seemed more than happy to share. Thank you from me, too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts