Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

1877 Lightning model, nickel plated without ejector rod, .41 cal.

1877 Lightning model, .38 Colt cal.

1878 DA Frontier Model, 5 1/2", .44-40 cal., marked "Colt Frontier Six Shooter". Grip frame is the smaller later version.

1878 DA Frontier, 7 1/2", .45 cal, marked on trigger guard, has the large, early grip frame.

Don Wilkerson's book on the 1878 model is a great reference....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Spectacular!!! Some very nice firearms. Knowing nothing about these I'm assuming the dates given is the model year? How old are these and is that the original finish on the last two? The nickle is pretty sharp but that blued number is just fantastic. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, the all blue 5 1/2" , in the 38XXX serial range was made in 1898, it had no original finish, damaged ejector rod housing, but excellent grips, good bore and that desireable barrel marking. It was restored by Doug Turnbull. I made the ivory grips.

The 7 1/2" .45 , serial range 54XX, made in 1881, had almost no original nickel remaining, but no damage and good markings, good bore, so I had it renickeled and appropriate parts reblued about 20 years ago. Looks much better now, the picture could be better, the cal. is marked on the left front of the triggerguard bow, later it was stamped on the barrel as on the SAA.
The grip profile of this gun is larger than the later model above it, the photo is smaller and it is not obvious...
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts