Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I like the carving of the grips on the sheriff's model. I wonder if the serial number actually letters as a 45 x 4" ejectorless? Were the grips 2 piece or 1 piece?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, but I did not inspect any of them other than just drooling through the glass, lol.

And no, I did not see a Bisley. These were at Larry’s off I565, not the north parkway location.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
Jim, The pictured ejectorless with serial number of 154049 is very close to two owned by Bill Dascher...154046 and 154044

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Methinks Larry will be wiping dust off these for quite some time.

I bought one of the FSS commemoratives for half of Larry's price off this forum.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Jim, The pictured ejectorless with serial number of 154049 is very close to two owned by Bill Dascher...154046 and 154044
Thanks Terry. I had those serial numbers you mentioned along with 042 and 047 in my database. Do you have any configuration details on those guns of Mr. Dascher's? Also any shipping information?

Several of them in this range shipped to Dunlay and Geisler in Houston.

I assumed that the gun the OP spoke of very well may be an righteous ejectorless model since it's numbered in a batch of ejectorless models out there.

I am curious to as whether those grips are vintage or modern made ones and whether they are one piece or 2 piece with the escutcheon on the right side grip being the blind type.

Once a gun is refinished like this one it's hard to know what parts like the barrel or cylinder are factory original even if the serial numbers on the frame, etc. look right.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Although the ejectorless gun is interesting I can buy the commemorative ones for about half what he’s asking. Any more than that and they’re a hard sell to the uninfatuated.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Sorry, but I did not inspect any of them other than just drooling through the glass, lol.

And no, I did not see a Bisley. These were at Larry’s off I565, not the north parkway location.
I was in Larry's Thursday in Madison off I565. If I remember correctly, the Bisley was to the left of the Sherrif's Model. I couldn't get a good side view of it but it looked very nice, nice blue and case colors. I wasn't able to determine if the finish was original or not. It was a 32-20 and priced at either $3100 or $3200. If original finish, the price wouldn't be to far out of line.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Wanted it edit above. I wonder if Larry is trying to thin the herd, assuming the Colts could be his.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
The market sets the sale price. The seller sets the dream price. If a gun doesn't sell within a few months in a store with a lot of traffic, it's too high. If it sits for years (like a few in some gun shops around here did, before they went out of business), it's way too high. If it sells the first day, it was maybe too low, or just a lucky sale, which can be an uninformed buyer.

I just don't understand people that go to a gun shop and post pictures of common guns sitting in the case. Nor people that post links to a Gunbroker ad. It's not like these are rare, every decent gun shop I've ever been in has a SAA from time to time. Or at all times....

·
Registered
286 Posts
I used to have friends who lived in the area, and went by Larry's the one time I was down there. Prices on everything were all double to triple retail on the thousands of guns there. The prices on those SAA's are tame - the Centennial FSS is about what people are asking on GB (noticed I said asking, and the same ones are still sitting there at that price).

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
My LGS has a Colt SAA in blue/case colors with the black plastic grips. In other words, just about as basic as it can get for $1675. If I was an SAA kind of guy I would probably have bought it. It's the first "real" Colt SAA (not a clone) that they have had in quite a while.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
Thanks Terry. I had those serial numbers you mentioned along with 042 and 047 in my database. Do you have any configuration details on those guns of Mr. Dascher's? Also any shipping information?

Several of them in this range shipped to Dunlay and Geisler in Houston.

I assumed that the gun the OP spoke of very well may be an righteous ejectorless model since it's numbered in a batch of ejectorless models out there.

I am curious to as whether those grips are vintage or modern made ones and whether they are one piece or 2 piece with the escutcheon on the right side grip being the blind type.

Once a gun is refinished like this one it's hard to know what parts like the barrel or cylinder are factory original even if the serial numbers on the frame, etc. look right.
Jim, Here is what data I have on the two guns:
1. SN 154044 45 cal 4" bbl.
2. SN 154046 45 cal 3" bbl. Nickel finish Ivory Stocks

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
Jim, I figured out how to use the scanner. Here is an image of one page from Bill's listing of ejectorless SAA's. I can scan the others if you want them for your data base.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I looked through all my 1st Generation Sheriff's data, plus Cochran's "Colt Peacemaker Encyclopedia" and this Alabama Sheriff's 154049 is no where to be found.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts