Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Gorgeous .45

I love this forum. You guys don't mince words. I recently purchased a 1980 SAA, .44 Special, Nickel with a 4 3/4 barrel, NIB with the hang tag still hanging from the trigger guard. Supposedly it had never even had the cylinder turned or been cocked by the one and only owner. And for a short time (like about 5 minutes) I was wondering if I should shoot it. But I was thinking about that guy having this revolver locked up in a safe for 30 years and not having shot it. That sounds like a prison sentence to me, torture. Anyways I thought about asking folks here if I should shoot it just to see what the concensus would be but after reading several posts on the forum it became clear to me that this is not a group of collectors but shooters. Shooters with large collections of guns but shooters.

I had bought a box of shells prior to it showing up at my FFL so I had pretty much made up my mind and definitely did once I held it in my hands.

I wish my photos turned out as nicely as those. It doesn't hurt that you have such a beautiful 45 to photograph.

Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Hi 22 Short,

It's not that "...this is not a group of collectors but shooters", it's that I don't think that there's a lot of near term collectability to NIB 3rd gen SAA. As I mentioned in another post, in 20 or 30 years there'll probably be more NIB 3rd gen SAA than honestly used ones. With that many available, the difference in value between NIB and high condition used will be far less than the difference seen between "real" NIB Pythons or 2nd gen SAAs and used ones. 20 or 30 years ago, most people bought Colts to shoot, now it seem a big percentage buy Colts to put unopened in the safe.

Best regards,

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I shoot it whether it has collectiblility or not. I buy to shoot, not look. Everyone has their own flavor but I will tell you Monsai52 that I have bought plenty of NIB/rare/collectible Colts and I shoot the snot out of them.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I shoot it whether it has collectiblility or not. I buy to shoot, not look. Everyone has their own flavor but I will tell you Monsai52 that I have bought plenty of NIB/rare/collectible Colts and I shoot the snot out of them.
I agree, I buy what I like and what I want to use, without a lot of regard to a gun's collectability; and I use what I buy. I'll admit that I don't have the deep pockets to buy more than just a few of the guns I would like to, but those that I do buy are almost all used on a regular basis, regardless of their collectability.

Best regards,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not really interested in shooting it. It's displayed in a shadow box in my home office. Also have an 80's 44-40 in the same condition and also on display. I'm a shotgunner by nature and only practice with my CCW's to make sure I'm ready under any unsuspecting event. I do enjoy shooting my new Colt M4 Carbine though!!

Thanks for the kind responses...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree. I shoot 'em all
I showed up at a SASS Match once with my original S&W 1st Model Schofield Revolver made in 1875, early 3 digit serial # out of a total production of 8969 revolvers.
I shot the entire 5 stage match with the Schofield using a 200 gr lead pill over 24 gr Goex FFg. What a hoot that was! Essentially everyone at the match thought I was insane to shoot such an old,rare and valuable revolver..except me! I had a ball shooting it.
By the way, it worked flawlessly! I also did the same thing with an original 1875 production Colt SAA. The thrill in owning and collecting antique firearms is shooting them as far as I am concerned!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Slugo,

That's a real sweetheart. Yes, and great photos!
Looks like the cylinder was removed w/o using a paper sling. I shoot all mine but even use a sling on them.

I've noticed that new looking 3rd gens with box but that have been fired, have a lot higher marketability then NIB unfired guns. People would rather buy them for a little less and be able to shoot them w/o being the 1st to do so, and therefore depreciating a higher investment gun. I know I do.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Shoot it, for sure. Investing in guns is gambling on the chance you will be able to sell it in the distant future, and that money will be more important to you at that time. The money you make will be used for what? Buying gas to burn in your car? Buying a few months of food? Taking a weeks cruise? But there is also the possibility the gun won't be worth as much in the future, due to changing laws or peoples whims. Or you may die and never use the money. Or inflation will make money worthless.

Is it better to "gamble" on some future gain, or to carry the tool to a range, or out in the woods, and enjoy the way it feels and shoots? Otherwise, buy a prop gun, or a framed picture. I've been going to gun shows and antique shops my entire life. Trust me, life is short. Those places are filled with previous generations treasures, sometimes I see dusty 2nd Gen SAAs sitting on a table with an 80yr old guy selling. He let that beauty sit in a dark safe for a lifetime, and is now selling out. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. Do I take extreme care not to excessively wear my good guns? Yes, but I don't leave them unshot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts