Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my first Colt SAA a while back. It's chambered in .45 LC, is a second gen. (1966) w/ 5 1/2" barrel. I knew when I purchased it, other than being a Colt SAA in very good condition it was "nothing special". The longer I owned and shot it, and after a first class action job by none other than Mr. Jim Martin, the more appealing the thought of lettering it became.

After a while it became an itch I just had to scratch, so in went my order!

I knew full well I was most likely buying $100 worth of useless information. And that's exactly what I got when the letter finally arrived from Colt.

Turns out the gun was shipped on October 3, 1966 to:
Pres. Browns Sports Shop
14 W. Washington St.
Lexington, VA.

As near as I can tell, that company no longer exists. Just thought I'd post here on the chance that someone might know a little something about the company.

Did I burn a C-Note..............nah!! At least now when I hold the gun I don't have to wonder what stories it could tell if it could only talk. The answer seems to be, no story at all.........and that's OK. I got my $100 worth!

If nothing else, it leaves the door wide open for me to dream up some fascinating stories about the exciting life my Colt .45 SAA has had while in the hands of 20th century desperadoes and outlaws!!! Pretty sure I can get away with tellin' 'em because after all, I do have an honest face............馃槑

Registered
Your story is just fine....mine would be, There was this 鈥 RLOL!

Premium Member
When I read the title, I thought you might have bought something that turned out to be a fake or was altered but you didn't know it at the time. A term I've seen before for a situation like that is called the Colt Tax, Luger Tax, etc. Here, you just paid to get some addl info from Colt and maybe gamble there was something more interesting behind it. That's just curiosity.

Premium Member
Well, guess I would agree that nothing special came from the letter but a 45, 5 1/2, Jim Martin tuned SAA sound pretty dang sweet.
Vic

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Well, guess I would agree that nothing special came from the letter but a 45, 5 1/2, Jim Martin tuned SAA sound pretty dang sweet.
Vic

Yup...................

Attachments

Registered
I have been on the fence with my 1909 vintage SAA. Maybe when I work a bunch of overtime I'll finally get the letter. Bet it was shipped to NY or some other non west place....UGH
I won't tease you about the $100 but a 5 1/2 inch barrel on the other hand.... LOL

Premium Member
I had a letter on a Colt Officer Model Match shipped to a gun store less than 5 miles from where I live. No story there.

Jim

Registered
The SAA I鈥檝e had the longest traded for in 1983 is a renicked 1958 7 1/2鈥 .45 with a couple fast draw modifications. Said to be from Southern California. Having read a lot about fast draw and being friends with Jim Martin, I just had to letter this gun to see if it was connected to any fast draw guys or western TV actor. But I knew in 1958 if Hugh O鈥橞rien, for example bought it, the letter would just say the gun store he walked into. Sure enough, it said 鈥淔rontier Gun Shop鈥 in San Diego. So I paid $100 for a little peace of mind even though I was 95% sure I鈥檇 come up empty.

Registered
I used to letter most of my S&W's and Colts back when an S&W letter was only $35 and I think Colts were $50 or so.
But at $100 each now, the odds of them shipping to some hardware store in Podunk or one of the big distributors are just too great. Especially for 20th century made guns.

I did get letters on two guns that shipped to dealers in the city that I lived in and where those guns were purchased in a gun store more than 50 years later, so they hadn't wandered far from home. The best deal now is on Ruger letters. They are only $10 and are limited in information, only showing the model number (which reveals the caliber, barrel length and finish), the month and year of manufacture and the name and city of the dealer that they were shipped to.
But that's certainly $10 worth of information.

Premium Member
鈥.so what could a SAA in 32-20 manufactured in1904 reveal other than generic information?? I keep going back and forth on putting- out for a letter. Mainly, I LOVE the gun so much in it's configuration, condition, and perceived by me originality that I'm afraid if by chance it doesn't letter....

Premium Member
BTW, the gun was purchased from a well respected dealer of Colts and Winchesters who vouched it's originality - but, there was no letter.

Registered
鈥.so what could a SAA in 32-20 manufactured in1904 reveal other than generic information?? I keep going back and forth on putting- out for a letter. Mainly, I LOVE the gun so much in it's configuration, condition, and perceived by me originality that I'm afraid if by chance it doesn't letter....
I lettered my 1911 SAA that was rebuilt by Colt in 1969 to .45 that I knew was a .32-20. I have the original parts and 鈥69 shipping box with providence the gun was owned by a NV. Lawman. I got the letter to see if the rebuild was on there (it wasn鈥檛 mentioned) and to have a complete package if I sell it. Other than that, I wouldn鈥檛 letter a post 1900 .32-20 because they're less likely to be linked to someone famous who used it to shoot people, preferring a larger caliber.

Premium Member
鈥 I spent my money on wine,women,and song! The rest I just wasted!鈥

Registered
Do not letter any SAA! That leaves Colt Archives more time to research my requests. :LOL:
Seriously, I letter all my 1st Gen SA's. Sure, the usual places (Simmons, Schuyler, Kitteridge, etc.), but it gives me peace of mind - and reduces my bank account some. But..I just got a letter showing one my guns belonged to Chief of Police in Stockton, who then later became Chief of Police in Palo Alto. Not super valuable, but has a good story behind it. Factory letters can be the start of an interesting investigation.

Registered
Do not letter any SAA! That leaves Colt Archives more time to research my requests. :LOL:
Seriously, I letter all my 1st Gen SA's. Sure, the usual places (Simmons, Schuyler, Kitteridge, etc.), but it gives me peace of mind - and reduces my bank account some. But..I just got a letter showing one my guns belonged to Chief of Police in Stockton, who then later became Chief of Police in Palo Alto. Not super valuable, but has a good story behind it. Factory letters can be the start of an interesting investigation.
Who鈥檚 that Police Chief? I鈥檓 an hour from Stockton and have read a lot about 1880s lawmen and outlaws of the area. But your guy could very well be early 20th century. My 1911 .32-20 was sent back to Colt by the Sheriff of Mercury City, the gov鈥檛 nuclear test site town in NV. He was also a NV Assemblyman and businessman who鈥檚 name is still prominent in the state. Researching old guns also unearths real interesting people and history.

Registered
Chief of Police (Merced - Sorry, not Stockton) - William A. Hyde. Detective Special shipped to him November 24, 1947. Later became Chief in Palo Alto. I'm still backtracking on how the gun got to the gun shop where I bought it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts