Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My primary service revolver, a Colt Official Police, was purchased second hand by my Dad the week before Christmas in 1971. This 'fine' Colt has served me the duration of my cop career as my duty sidearm. I have written about this here at this forum before. Years ago, I attempted to 'letter' my OP with the Colt Historical Department. A Ms. Hoyt of the Colt Historical Dept., responded to my request with a very nice and polite response. Ms. Hoyt explained, in letter, that the records for my particular serial number had been 'compromised' and were not available. She didn't elaborate on the 'why' but did share a story about a 'fire' at Colt that destroyed 'some' serial number records and mine was one of them. I was disappointed as this was a very 'special' Colt that I wanted a Colt Letter on. I wanted all of the historical data on 'this' OP given to me by 'special' parents. I already knew that my Colt had worked for a PD before being traded in as surplus. There were 'markings' on the butt of my Official Police .38 that indicated police ownership. This was/is a postwar model (1959) and I knew that the first PD my Colt served at got about 10+years service out of it before my Dad purchased it in December 1971. He had bought it at a local GS and was told by the sales clerk that this .38 Colt was a PD trade-in and that the store had bought several for resale. Dad picked the best of the litter and the rest is Colt Firearms history. This OP was to serve me for the next 42+years now, even getting through the semi-auto pistol transition of 1992. I wanted to know the identity of the first PD that had eluded me for over 4-decades. I finally got the answer by accident or 'devine' assistance. I was going through the Gunbroker website, the Colt Revolver section, and spotted an Official Police that was advertised as a former Port Authority Police revolver from the 50's. That got my attention! I 'clicked' on the seller and out came the answer to a 40+year mystery. The seller was selling off part of his collection and his advertised OP had several great pictures included in the ad. Right on the bottom of the pictured butt was the lettering of "PA1308" and another picture of the serial number that was within a short number of my Colt OP's serial number of 869943. His advertisement elaborated on the Port Authority background to his OP as this was purchased from the former owner, a 'retired' Port Authority Officer. The PA ID number of PA1309 on his was in the same 'style' of print that mine was. Mine has the PA ID number of "PA1784" and just-like-that a 40+year question was finally answered!

The above might seem to be 'ho-hum' to most people. Maybe even a few Colt fans might feel inclined to 'yawn' at my story. But this was very important, even a 'ground-shaker' for someone who had given up ever finding out my Colt's history. It was "that" special for me in receiving the answer, as in the years to come, some firearms collector, not yet born, will profit from this question being answered. Colt Firearms was not able to, but by chance happening, I stumbled across an ad, that the seller provided pictures and a 3-sentence description of the Colt he was selling. BAM! Lightening strikes twice! I give thanks for my good fortune! Unimportant to most, but everything to me. Thank you my friends for allowing me to share this story with you.

David

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Congrats on solving the mystery. I retired from the NYSP and we carried the OP, both in the 4 inch & 6 inch, both stamped NYST on the back strap. I am still looking for that elusive OP 6 inch revolver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.