Colt Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1263 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
I used to have just as many Colts as Smiths.......but, a couple years ago Moi and the Mrs each bought a 1979 model 63 four inch, (no dashes) both like new.
Then, last December, I bought a new four inch model 29 (lock wandered off and failed to return), and just received a new four inch model 27, (hoping this lock will join the 29's lock in truancy).
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Machine gun
Left side 63 is mine, the right is the Mrs's 63.
The 29 as pictured, still had the lock, because the revolver went back to the SAW factory, due to a couple deep scratches in the finish.
It came back looking glorious, but I have yet to take another picture, with the upgrade finish and lock disappearance, also, have not yet pictured the model 27.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’ve dickered up a 29 mountain gun NIB. Bought nice grips for it and it really feels nice with the Coke type grips. Me and Bro shot a box of factory Blazer 240HPs. Shot well but to tell the truth I would like 6-6.5” barrel. The tapered 4” barrel does balance in your hand well. It feels like the difference of a 24 vs 29. Muzzle blast gets your attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
This is my newest SW. mod 19-2. There’s something about the design I really like. It came with the pictured square stocks that have been changed out since I got it. View attachment 750345
Zorros, beautiful! But with those 2 1/2" barrels you really need to smack that ejector rod to clear empties.

·
Registered
74 Posts
S&W model 41s are multiplying. So far got two old model heavy 5”, 1 old model 7”, 1 old model 7 3/8” and one latest production
7”. The three different models have 3 different sights. I tend to like the older guns. The fit and finish is noticeably better than new ones. The rear sight on new models is my favorite.
The pistol at 12 o’clock was a had fitted presentation piece. It is lettered from S&W.
I’m going to find a holster and a pair of thin slab grips for the 7” model. You shoot a 41 and you will want one, no doubt.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you have a cut off date for what you like 'old' and 'new'?
Not really, I can tell by looking at them them about how old they are. There are several things that indicate age without looking up serial. Finish is dead give away. The new one I have is very nice gun. I’ve only shot 200 rds , seems to be as accurate as the older models but the blue on it is nothing like the old models.
Buying target pistols is like buying sports cars. They have been either babied or had the snot run out of them. In fact this covers more than 75% of top shelf S&Ws. Joe 6-pack buys a Target pistol or a Dirty Harry 29. It is shot occasionally and well taken care of. Joe gets older and has no use for it anymore, or tales up some other interest. These are the guns you want to buy.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I’m not up to speed on S&W revolvers, but here are some my grandfather had. Anyone offer some info on them?

View attachment 750295 View attachment 750296
Mod 18 .22 lr

View attachment 750298 View attachment 750299
Mod 15 .38 spl

View attachment 750302 View attachment 750303
Mod 48-3 .22 mag

View attachment 750304 View attachment 750305
Mod 19 .357 mag
You have 4 very desirable Smith's there. The Model 18 is worth around $800.00 or possibly more.
The 15, maybe $6 to 7 hundred.
The 19, around $800.
The 48, should be worth more than $1,000.
Also, three of the guns have the "diamond" checkered stocks, which are quite pricey in their own right too.
Bill

1221 - 1240 of 1263 Posts