Colt Forum banner
1301 - 1320 of 1479 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Nice gun, but I think it shipped much earlier that 1952. It has all the pre war features.
I thought the Outdoorsman had a shrouded ejector rod. The revolver posted looks like a Second Model .44 Target Hand Ejector; unshrouded rod, non-medallion grips, large ejector rod head and pre-war hammer profile all point to a revolver manufactured prior to the mid/late 1920s.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Anybody have one of these? A S&W 4566 in 45acp. I've read some reviews, all favorable, on them and may be picking one up. For some reason the hammer isn't showing in the pic. I asked the seller about it and am waiting for a response.
Though it's an 8 shot single stack it is also a SA/DA design. Plus the 45acp round is a favorite of mine.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
133 Posts
Anybody have one of these? A S&W 4566 in 45acp. I've read some reviews, all favorable, on them and may be picking one up. For some reason the hammer isn't showing in the pic. I asked the seller about it and am waiting for a response.
Though it's an 8 shot single stack it is also a SA/DA design. Plus the 45acp round is a favorite of mine.

View attachment 762822
It could be that it was converted (if it truly is a 4566) to DAO with a TSW version hammer. Or the hammer was chopped to make it DAO.

·
Registered
555 Posts
It could be that it was converted (if it truly is a 4566) to DAO with a TSW version hammer. Or the hammer was chopped to make it DAO.
Just got an email from the seller. He said it has the OEM hammer but it's not showing because of the angle of the pic.
It's 325 miles away in Sheridan WY, I'm in Cheyenne, but $400 for the pistol, four mags, two holsters, and about 300 rounds of ammo would make the drive worth it.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just got an email from the seller. He said it has the OEM hammer but it's not showing because of the angle of the pic.
It's 325 miles away in Sheridan WY, I'm in Cheyenne, but $400 for the pistol, four mags, two holsters, and about 300 rounds of ammo would make the drive worth it.
$400? I'd be on that like Rosie O'Donell on a Hot Fudge Sundae!

• Haha
Reactions: Scottz63

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is a great deal. I myself am a big fan of S&W 3rd gen pistols.

·
Registered
555 Posts
"Hot Fudge Sunday - Great Deal"
Thanks guys, that's pretty much my thinking so I'm meeting the guy Saturday afternoon in Sheridan.
I was hoping for a used 1911, even an import, but they've gotten way too overpriced. The S&W is similar in looks and operation to a 1911, hammer fired, SA/DA, and metal. All good points IMO.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.........

·
Registered
555 Posts
UPDATE:
So I made the drive up to Sheridan and picked up the 4566. It has a factory spur-less hammer so I sent an email to S&W to ask them what exactly I have and if I can replace the spur-less hammer with a spurred hammer.
Of course I had to pull off on a ranch road on the way back and give it a try. It operates perfectly and has the sweetest SA/DA trigger I've ever felt. :D
Here, along with 350 rounds of ammo, is what I ended up with. The black holster is a Gould & Goodrich 1700 and the tan holster is TEX Shoemaker & Sons 69R. The mags are all OEM.
Update. Contacted S&W and was informed that the pistol originally had a spurred hammer so I'm thinking a prior owner had it modified. As these were PD issued sidearms for quite a while until all PDs went to polymer pistols I'm thinking an officer had the bobbed hammer installed to lessen the chance of it hanging up on anything. Need to have it lettered to get its complete history.
Wood Air gun Everyday carry Wood stain Gun accessory

Since I wasn't real happy with either holster that came with the S&W I got this Bucheimer off Ebay. It's made for a Colt Commander but after I trimmed just a smidge of leather off for the rear sight it fits the S&W like a glove.
Bicycle saddle Bicycle part Fender Electric blue Leather

1301 - 1320 of 1479 Posts