Colt Forum banner
1341 - 1360 of 1372 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Actually this Model 60 is not mine. It's my brothers that he purchased locally. It dates to 1968 (pre-R serial number model). I was cleaning it up for him today. It wasn't shot all that much but apparently carried a lot. Had to soak it in Kroil a bit just to get the sideplate screws out. It cleaned up pretty nice. Had the original wood grips numbered to the gun but they were really rough so I found him some faux Ivory in my grip box.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Kitchen appliance

·
Registered
531 Posts
Actually this Model 60 is not mine. It's my brothers that he purchased locally. It dates to 1968 (pre-R serial number model). I was cleaning it up for him today. It wasn't shot all that much but apparently carried a lot. Had to soak it in Kroil a bit just to get the sideplate screws out. It cleaned up pretty nice. Had the original wood grips numbered to the gun but they were really rough so I found him some faux Ivory in my grip box.

View attachment 766224
Nice ...I hark back to 1977 when I was working in a hardware store with a gun section. Brand new 60s were 125.50......of course I realize the money was worth way more then...still.....Ive had/ have several 36s, but never a 60. Carrying a 642-1 now, but a nice older 60 like that with the original grips would kick it to the curb...😊

·
Registered
531 Posts
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Everyday carry

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

M27 I'm getting from a friend, a previous owner hard chromed cylinder, hammer and trigger. And had it Magnaported.......Does come with a blue 27 cylinder that will have to be fitted..... damn, I have to admit you wouldn't know the bbl. had been altered, if you didn't know Smith never made a 4.75" bbl.....😊 Just a shout out to Magnaport I guess, cause if they're the ones who did all the bbl work, they're damn good.....
New information.......showed it to a friend who said don't change anything, leave as is..all the work was done by Mag-na-port way back in the day, a signature look I guess. He said he had a model 29 done by them 25 years or so ago. He had it 25 years ago that is, he didn't know when the work was done....70s or 80s....? Anyway, identical work, except his barrel hadn't been cut down..
Chrome bore, chrome cylinder, trigger and hammer, trigger job, must have been a package thing. In any case, that leaves me with a blue cylinder to sell or trade at the next gunshow😊

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
My newest S&W
I posted it in the lounge but It belongs here too.
Made 1898
It also has some "personality"
The holster flap is also inscribed!

View attachment 767846 View attachment 767847 View attachment 767855
View attachment 767849 View attachment 767858 View attachment 768180
That is one nifty S&W as fully inscribed! Are you aware that in 1890 the U.S. military bought a batch of these blued S&W Safety hammerless guns with 6" barrels for field trials?

Dr. Frank Carlton Hoskins born 1878 and died young 19 Feb 1909.
By 1897 he was a student in Grand Rapids, MI.

Married Jean Barnes 30 Oct 1907 in Cayahoga County, OH.

He was a Doctor at Fairmount Home, Tuberculosis Dispensary, in Cleveland, OH 1904-09. Died from peritonitis.

What else I found is attached here.

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Jim
Thanks for the research . very cool!!
I thought you would appreciate it.
I was looking for a pre 1899 example and this one came up.
it is better than I could have hoped for. It looks like Frank put in the holster and forgot it
No signs of firing. The holster flap is also inscribed and the back is inscribed crudely.. Tampa Fl
I have a box of cartridges coming

1341 - 1360 of 1372 Posts