Colt Forum banner
1361 - 1380 of 1473 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,171 Posts
Jim
Thanks for the research . very cool!!
I thought you would appreciate it.
I was looking for a pre 1899 example and this one came up.
it is better than I could have hoped for. It looks like Frank put in the holster and forgot it
No signs of firing. The holster flap is also inscribed and the back is inscribed crudely.. Tampa Fl
I have a box of cartridges coming
"Tampa Fl ". So Frank wrote that while waiting to see if he was going to Cuba or the Philippines. That is neat! Maybe you can find a safety hammerless picture box of 38 S&W.

The nice and very unusual thing about your inscribed gun, is that he fully defined who he was. There was nothing left to guess at or search for.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This weeks dealings: traded my 629-6 for 29-5. About even trade but I hate stainless. Down side have to find me a rear sight for 29-5. This one has scope. That will finance a back sight. Also picked up a 1905 HE, 32/20 4”. It’s nickel but I’m sure some piano player will trade me something in a nice shade of blue for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Got this Performance Center .45 Shield from a friend a while back. He bought it NIB. Got the box and all of its contents along with seven factory seven round magazines. Said he was getting out of the .45 game and going strictly to 9 mm pistols. He said he put appoximately 100 rounds of ball ammo and a couple of magazines of Remington Golden Saber hollowpoints thru it after he purchased it and had problems. I have since put 150 rounds of ball ammo thru it with no issues. It is a very soft recoiling pistol for a .45 and pretty accurate. It does not have the porting on the slide and barrel, but that didn't make any difference to me one way or another. I love the sites for my tired old eyes.
Brown Hand Revolver Trigger Air gun
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain
Wood Amber Tin Automotive lighting Wood stain
Wood Rectangle Gas Nut Hardwood
Brown Trigger Wood Air gun Amber

·
Registered
546 Posts
UPDATE:
So I made the drive up to Sheridan and picked up the 4566. It has a factory spur-less hammer so I sent an email to S&W to ask them what exactly I have and if I can replace the spur-less hammer with a spurred hammer.
Of course I had to pull off on a ranch road on the way back and give it a try. It operates perfectly and has the sweetest SA/DA trigger I've ever felt. :D
Here, along with 350 rounds of ammo, is what I ended up with. The black holster is a Gould & Goodrich 1700 and the tan holster is TEX Shoemaker & Sons 69R. The mags are all OEM.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................
Update. Contacted S&W and was informed that the pistol originally had a spurred hammer so I'm thinking a prior owner had it modified. As these were PD issued sidearms for quite a while until all PDs went to polymer pistols I'm thinking an officer had the bobbed hammer installed to lessen the chance of it hanging up on anything. Need to have it lettered to get its complete history.
View attachment 763340

Since I wasn't real happy with either holster that came with the S&W I got this Bucheimer off Ebay. It's made for a Colt Commander but after I trimmed just a smidge of leather off for the rear sight it fits the S&W like a glove.
View attachment 766670
Update #2. I've been looking for an extra barrel for the 4566 since I got it. They're kind of scarce and the sellers of the few I have found wanted an arm and a leg for them. BUT! I just scored one off of Ebay for $150 which is less than half of what the other sellers were wanting so I'm in a right happy mood at the moment. :D

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Decided I wanted to load some black powder cartridge ammo, so found this little S&W .38 Double Action 4th model. The bore, chambers and inner workings underneath the tightly fitted side plate are spotless. Quite accurate at 12 yards. I am amazed at what folks managed to forge and machine, much less hand-fit in the 1800’s. A lost art that works as designed is something to behold.

Hand Finger Automotive tire Thumb Office equipment

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Decided I wanted to load some black powder cartridge ammo, so found this little S&W .38 Double Action 4th model. The bore, chambers and inner workings underneath the tightly fitted side plate are spotless. Quite accurate at 12 yards. I am amazed at what folks managed to forge and machine, much less hand-fit in the 1800’s. A lost art that works as designed is something to behold.

View attachment 770605
Nice!
everything I have heard and read says modern loaded 38 S&W is totally safe in a good condition gun like yours

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I suspect if it was later in the decade after smokeless powder had been used, and steel heat treated, I would use the Remington factory loads I have on hand. Since I plan on shooting 50 rounds through it once a month, I’ll not subject it to the nasty pressure curve smokeless puts out. Somebody didn’t shoot it much, and cleaned it well. If they had kept the outside as nice as the inside, it wouldn’t be missing some blueing. I’ll just respect its age, and stick to FFFg.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Arman, I have one that's older and I am just using a kinetic bullet puller on a bunch of old 38 S&W I found. Gonna reload it with BP like you for my Cowboy Action Shooting side matches.

1361 - 1380 of 1473 Posts