Colt Forum banner

A friendly Smith & Wesson appreciation thread

297K views 2K replies 428 participants last post by  45NUTT 
#1 · (Edited)
On another thread Dirty Harry posted a picture of a beautiful new in the box pre M27. Since a lot of us Colt collectors also like that "other brand" and I rarely go to the Smith & Wesson forum because I like you guys more, lets see some S&Ws.

See less See more
#2,233 ·
Purging an uncommon nickel 29-2? Is that really the word you're using?

I've been in the market for a clean .41 Mag for about 15 years. 99% of what I come across are Ruger single actions and beat to hell bowling pin guns. And I'm not going to Brokegunner to get a 657 4" for $1300.
This popped up on Simpson Ltd today, I've no idea if that's a good deal, I'm more into the pre 29's,

SMITH AND WESSON 57

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

#2,234 ·
Not to mention a very nice 5 screw pre 29, I've been eyeballing this for about a month, I asked them for some hi res pics, their website pics are pretty basic, no details. I never received a response, a little disappointing since I'm a previous customer, I picked up my Model 29 no dash 8" 3/8" from them a few years back.
5 Screw Pre 29 Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum

Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel

#2,235 ·
I only have 3 old P&R era S&Ws N frames left with 8 3/8” barrels. One each 25-27-29 and I’m hesitant to off them because I’ve had them many years and they are cherries as far as trigger pull and accuracy. I never beat these guns up
Hot Rodding loads. They are fed cast with moderate target loads. I wasn’t very old before I found 6” was perfect for me.

#2,238 ·
My first .41 Magnum was a Taurus Model 415, a compact snub nose. Sadly I had to let it go; even changing my grip the space between the trigger guard and grip was too small for my hand - and after 4-5 rounds my knuckles would begin to bleed. The other problem was a bad habit of locking the cylinder when using (I only used commercial ammo) ammo with a loose crimp - the bullet would move forward and lock the cylinder. Not the gun's fault but not what one would consider reliable enough to carry.

Then I had a Model 58, Nickel, 4". A few years later my local gun shop had an 8-3/8" Nickel Model 58 on Gun Broker. After viewing it I ended up with the winning bid! Both the nickels are gone however I have a Model 57, Blue, with a 4" Magnaported barrel. It is a keeper and will be one of the last guns that I will let go!

Gas Gadget Office equipment Laptop Bumper

#2,246 ·
Another Ebay score. I was looking for a holster for the model 59 and came across this S&W factory holster for a model 39 pistol. Since the 39 and 59 are basically the same size, the 39 is single stack while the 59 is double stack, it fits the 59 perfectly.
I'm going to have my local leather guy add a thumb snap retention strap to it.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........
Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel
Brown Amber Automotive lighting Orange Wood

#2,250 ·
Those are correct Diamond Magnas for your K22 which is a 5 screw. Since those aren’t original serialed to gun you should keep your eyes open for a better set to match condition of gun. It looks to be in decent shape for a 70-75 year old shooter.
I got my first new one in 1964 and promptly got target grips for it. I took original and wrapped them in tissue paper and put them in a tin box that Singer Sewing Machine accessories came in, still have them. S&W factory grips are bringing crazy money on line. Small trade day type sales is the place to pick up grips reasonable. Guys that say they found something at a gun show are full of it, you don’t find anything at shows because believe me it’s not lost!