Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine just gave me a 1911 Colt Mfgd pistol. It was supposed to have been carried by his father in WWI. It may have been. I met his father about 15 years ago and he was 95 then. The pistol has all the markings including MODEL OF 1911 U.S.ARMY on the right side of the slide. the SN is shown on the right frame as No 230345. The left side of the slide lists 4 patents starting with APR20,1897 and ending with AUG13,1913. To the right of that is COLT'S PT. FA. MFG.CO. and at the left rear is a rearing horse. Left side of the frame says UNITED STATES PROPERTY. Behind the trigger is what appears to be a circle or a G with an M or a joined JM inside of it. The top of the frame has an X, an H and a G. The grips are checkered walnut. It has a tired looking but sound leather holster with it that has a large US inside an oval on the flap. The gun also came with 4 20 round boxes of cartridges that are obviously military and were mfgd by Remington UMC. The packages are very fragile but the one cartridge I can see has a 17 stamped on the base. The pistol has a blued finish that is surprisingly good and judging the stamping is the original finish. It also has 3 blued magazines that came with it. Just what do I have here? Should I get it appraised and if so, by who? All help greatly appreciated. CZ75Lang [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
What you have there is a hell of a friend! I would get several different appraisals and keep an eye on the internet auctions to get a "feel" for what it is worth. A true piece of history. Leonard

·
Registered
36 Posts
I currently own 2 of those...been offered alot of money for them aswell...I wouldn't trade either one for a new Chevy truck....one saved my life a few years back I guess is why I keep them around...that and one is family!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts