Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several of you had read my thread about lubricating Colt internals and followed the saga as I realized my recently acquired Colt Officer's Model Target (.22LR) was not functioning properly. (As a side note, a special thanks to Dfariswheel and Rdak who patiently assisted and offered friendly advice on my evaluation of said gun).

After much investigation, I came to the conclusion that there were issues with the gun that were apparently above and beyond my skill set in diagnosing and/or correcting. I was provided the name of Michael Warman by a member of this forum. Michaels company, Warman Management LLC operates the state owned Olofson Range in Polk City IA. Michael is also a member of this forum (Geichal71).

Although I was hesitant to send my new acquisition to someone I was not familiar with, after talking with Michael on the phone I felt confident enough to send him the gun and see what he thought. I can only speak to my own experience, but I can confidently say I am pleased with his work. I advised him that the OMT cylinder sometimes turned and sometimes it didnt. I emphasized I wanted him to correct the issue (whatever that may be), and be very certain it didn't just "appear" to be fixed before he sent it back. Because of this request, Michael put over 200 rounds through it after his repair work to make sure it worked with no surprises. He also took the time to visit with me on the phone and explain what the issue was and what he did to fix it. As a side note, he was friendly, and I enjoyed talking all things Colt with him. Today I went out and shot it, putting at least 120 rounds through it (would have done more but ran out of time). There was not a single failure of the gun, using a variety of different ammo. Needless to say I was a happy camper. Michael stretched the hand for me, and also discovered that the bolt was not fit properly, which he corrected. I believe he also knocked off a spur on the bolt screw that was rubbing. So a big thanks to Michael for a job well done.

Now about the gun. Let me just say, this is fine gun. By fine I mean excellent, not just average. Originally the trigger was so stiff it was one of the worst triggers I had ever felt. Now this really wasnt the guns fault. Someone had monkeyed with the mainspring (which has since been replaced), and I think that was a huge part of it, not to mention who knows how many years of dried grease/whatever in the action. I was tempted to ignore the trigger and just shoot it single action. I am so glad I did not. The double action pull on this gun is now excellent in my opinion, and Im now excited to own this gun.

I dont have a range report I want to brag about because I need to adjust the sights and I forgot my hollow ground screwdriver set at home. The gun looked like it was doing its part however, and it was a blast to shoot. Felt really nice in the hands. For anyone thinking an Officer's Model, I dont think you will be displeased.

Now for the only part most people care about....

DSCF0318.jpg

DSCF0309.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

DSCF0312.jpg

·
Registered
376 Posts
Glad everything turned out in the best possible manner for you. Those guns are master pieces in my opinion, nothing to do with the S&W title either. I own a 1940 vintage OM Target and its very accurate, but am still searching the various brands of rimfire ammo to find that elusive holy grail!! It will serve you well for the rest of your life and beyond with a little care. Enjoy. Have had mine for 5 months now and is a definate keeper.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Its always kind of nice when things come together. Ive learned quite a bit about the gun because of this, and have come to appreciate the handiwork of the old Colts.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
It was my good fortune to have contact with Michael through a WTS ad here on the forum and our brief communication and smooth transaction showed he is a class act. The fact that he can smith the Colt is a big plus and happy to hear that the outcome was more than satisfactory. Happy endings like this just make the forum more invaluable.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report .Sounds like you indeed found a great gun and gunsmith. I gotta get one of those OMT's one of these days. I see that the OMT has even a slightly different rampant Colt stamping. The horse's mane is the full style that I like, but different detail than the 50's style that Im used too.
After you experiment with various .22 shells and find the one that shoots best in it, it would be great to have a range report.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts