Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my surprise this lettered Wells Fargo & Co. only sold for $3500 yesterday. I believe someone got a real bargain. Like Terry pointed out all the Wells Fargo SAAs seam to be well used. I still like this one especially since it's real and not one of the ,many basement made fakes.
Someone was even kind enough to customize the front sight.
Sometimes I think RIA list the projected sales price low just to make it look like the did even better to the seller.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

Font Rectangle Parallel Music Screenshot

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
RIA's pics are always super washed out for some reason.
They usually do better than this. Why they photographed this gun with such high key lighting is a mystery to me. Or maybe their web guy just didn't process the image right before posting it. Who knows. But as another member says, if you enlarge/adjust the image you can see enough of the Wells Fargo & Co rollmark to verify it.

But I don't know why RIA makes the photographic choices they do. I found one of theirs from 2016, shown below, a Wells Fargo SAA where they make a definite point of showing the rollmark. And then another from February of 2022 that's photographed the same way as the one that's the subject of this thread. Maybe different photographers? Different locations? Point is, if you're selling high-dollar items, you want to show them in the best possible light. RIA's processes just seem arbitrary to me.

Automotive tire Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Automotive wheel system Font

·
Registered
602 Posts
My guess would be the lower than average sale price would be due to;

OE - GOOD - some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal legible; lightly scratched, bruised or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.

WW - WOOD IS WORSE FOR THE PERCENT FINISH RATING GIVEN

Shouldn't it have gutta-percha stocks?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
My guess would be the lower than average sale price would be due to;

OE - GOOD - some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal legible; lightly scratched, bruised or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.

WW - WOOD IS WORSE FOR THE PERCENT FINISH RATING GIVEN

Shouldn't it have gutta-percha stocks?
You make a good point about the condition and replacement parts, I think. But still, if I'd been interested in the gun, those things would've caused only a momentary hesitation in my I-want-it line of thought. I'm sure some people could nitpick this gun to death, pointing out a pitted area here, a scratch there, a spot of rust in another location. But I cannot fault anyone for paying $3500 for that gun.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I think RIA just dropped the ball. Someone with RIA might have got their butt chewed out over that one.
Doubtful. With a pre auction estimate of $1500 to $2000 and it hammered at $3500, it brought double the middle of the pre auction estimate range, so as they set the estimates, the seller got well over that and is likely happy.

How much does RIA give stuff away, anyways? Most guns are unaffordable, bought by folks with deeper pockets than sense. I placed a bid in this auction and, as always, was unsuccessful!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Doubtful. With a pre auction estimate of $1500 to $2000 and it hammered at $3500, it brought double the middle of the pre auction estimate range, so as they set the estimates, the seller got well over that and is likely happy.

How much does RIA give stuff away, anyways? Most guns are unaffordable, bought by folks with deeper pockets than sense. I placed a bid in this auction and, as always, was unsuccessful!
I'm sure you're right. I know you know lots more about the market and guns like this than I do. I'm just saying if they'd done a better job of promoting the gun, i.e. more and better photos for one, they might could've realized another thousand on it.

I'm curious as to why your bidding was unsuccessful. Did you have a high number in mind that you wouldn't go past, or did you just decide (based on your knowledge) that the gun simply wasn't worth where it was headed...so you just stopped bidding. You don't have to answer, of course...like I said, I'm just curious.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts