Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all, I’m sure it’s been stated many times but I just want to ask:
I have a new, or new to me, Colt SAA Frontier Six Shooter, it has the Black, eagle grips. What are they made of? Plastic? Rubber?

thanks everyone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s a newer, 3rd Gen, Black powder frame. So that puts it in the plastic category. Thank y’all very much.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
As jplower stated, if first generation, gutta percha. If third generation, plastic.

Not sure exactly what a third generation SAA revolver costs these days new from the factory (IF you can get it), but safe to say greater than $1500.

Which leads to the following question: If you are spending this kind of money on a revolver, should any component be plastic?

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
The much-vaunted Second Generations had plastic and so do all of the Third Generations - the factory's been supplying them a long time - and no matter how you cut it, they're better by far than those grain-less wooden ones they supplied from their shipping pallets on the plated ones.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The much-vaunted Second Generations had plastic and so do all of the Third Generations - the factory's been supplying them a long time - and no matter how you cut it, they're better by far than those grain-less wooden ones they supplied from their shipping pallets on the plated ones.
Most definitely. The 3rd gen eagle plastic stocks are rugged, feel great and look good when fitted well. I like them.
Bob

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Definition of gutta-percha: a tough plastic substance from the latex of several Malaysian trees (genera Payena and Palaquium) of the sapodilla family that resembles rubber but contains more resin and is used especially as insulation and in dentistry in temporary fillings.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Definition of gutta-percha: a tough plastic substance from the latex of several Malaysian trees (genera Payena and Palaquium) of the sapodilla family that resembles rubber but contains more resin and is used especially as insulation and in dentistry in temporary fillings.

I think that this refers to plastic as a verb, whereas in reference to the third generation grips the usage of plastic is as a noun. I should say that third generation plastic grips look and feel good, but still, in the end, they are plastic.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Here is a quick way to tell if they are Gutta Percha grips. Take a straight pin and heat the tip. Touch it to the backside of the grip and if Gutta Parcha, it will smell like burning hair. Or, you can take the blade of a knife and "scrape" the backside and it will have a "brownish" color where you scrapped it.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Here is a quick way to tell if they are Gutta Percha grips. Take a straight pin and heat the tip. Touch it to the backside of the grip and if Gutta Parcha, it will smell like burning hair. Or, you can take the blade of a knife and "scrape" the backside and it will have a "brownish" color where you scrapped it.
Or, sometimes smelling them will tell you. They have a distinctive, unforgettable smell.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
In his book on the Post-War SAAs, Don Wilkerson noted that the stocks on the early 2nd Generation were made of a Hard Rubber composition similar to the material used in stocks on Pre-War SAAs. The changeover to a plastic material seems to have come with the changeover to the Eagle Stocks in about 1970.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
2nd and 3rd gen grips may appear to be plastic, but that's generic for a lot of similar, but different materials.
More likely they're made of Butaprene, a fairly common synthetic also used by Ruger.

1st gen hard rubber grips are Gutta Percha rubber made from the gun of Gutta Percha trees, same as pre war S&Ws.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts