Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That local gun shops aren’t taking transfers from individuals or C&R FFLs. At least here in my area in north Texas. Two shops have gone out business, one that still has my suppressor and one that it took me a month to track down the owner to get my Henry.....ATF is and was no help in trying to go after these guys. So now I am left with a couple of shops that just won’t do transfers. I am ranting because I bought a gun from a member here who was ready to ship as soon as the money hit and now I can’t find a dang gun shop to take the gun. I am now having to look beyond my town and get deeper into Dallas or Fort Worth......not a good sign of people in the gun business creating their own gun control......sigh.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
It would be well worth your drive to use either Jackson Armory or Rays' Sporting Goods for your transfers. The old, established businesses have been there for a long time for a reason.
My local gun store refuses to accept a gun from a C&R. They simply do not understand the law and will not make the effort to do the research.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
What reasons are the remaining shops giving for not handling transfers ?
My guess would be that they are upset that they did not sell the firearm. With a retail store it is impossible to compete with the online guys. I guess they think it is the only way they can get back at them. They feel that those are the guys putting them out of business. Not saying I agree, just what I think.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Dont know where in the Metroplex you are but if up on the North side Celina Gun shop helped me with a transfer out to California.

·
Registered
745 Posts
ATF has a place to check whether an FFL license is good or not. Not so for C&R's. It becomes a choice for the gun dealer to accept and take the chance, or not. No traceability is also a potential problem on private sale transfers. Why not just have your seller take it to his local gun dealer ad ship it for him?
By the way, to accept from C&Rs or individuals is legal, but up to the individual gun shop.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My guess would be that they are upset that they did not sell the firearm. With a retail store it is impossible to compete with the online guys. I guess they think it is the only way they can get back at them. They feel that those are the guys putting them out of business. Not saying I agree, just what I think.
Thats EXACTLY it according to a dealer I know. No issues transferring old guns like Troopers or Pythons or older 94 or 92 Winchesters. Their issue is the modern guns they CAN get but lose to the internet sellers.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally found a shop. I am familiar with Ray’s and Jackson armory never even thought of using them. I am located near Celina in the small town of Weston. I will be sure to make the Celina shop my FFL of choice. I had to have the gun transferred to a shop in midcities area. But at least it is close to my work. It will be here early next week.

As for reasons the shops I checked with gave me no real reason other than the seller didn’t have a general use FFL. I pointed out to the owners that they were personally imposing their own gun restrictions on us 2nd amendment guys.....answer was still no. They didn’t care that it was a used gun almost 50 years old. Oh well....... at least the gun is on its way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
I found a small, hole in the wall shop, low rent building, etc., does transfers for $15 cash from FFL, C&R or individual with picture ID.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had the same problem as a seller when I tried selling my Walther P1 on Gunbroker. Buyer had to back out because no one near him in rural Mississippi would accept from a 03.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
They are just being a bunch of whiny bitches.

There is NO reason not to accept a transfer. Once the background check is called in, the FFL holder is completely off the hook and all he/she needs to do is keep the line item in their Acquisition/Disposition book for 25 years. It’s no big deal.

Its either laziness or they feel jaded you didn’t buy the gun from them.

Think of this: isn’t their unwillingness likened to an “infringement” on your Constitutional Right?
Ahd the exhorbenant costs some are charging are nothing more than an additional “tax”...again an infringement.

I wouldnt give them a penny of my business and I’d hope they went out of business - We don’t need their kind!

·
Registered
631 Posts
“Really? It is not as easy as you think. Takes time”

My dad’s an FFL top, I’m pretty dang familiar with the process. And while my comment was written with a certain air of sarcasm, I have quite a few close friends who’ve gone through the hassle of obtaining said licensing for purposes other than opening a full scale brick and mortar. Custom fabrication, gun building/smithing, grip and stock building, large volume collecting, casual buying and selling and a myriad of other industry related services all fall under this umbrella. So yea, I know the suggestion isn’t practical for everyone, but it is a legitimate recommendation non-the less...and heck, who can’t appreciate dealer pricing on personal purchases!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I use a shop in west Fort Worth for all of my transfers which most come direct from the manufacturer or a custom smith. I only will accept FFL to FFL and that is the policy of the shop I use a well. Most are going this way so in the future your options to not go FFL to FFL are going to be increasingly limited I am afraid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts