Colt Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Outstanding custom work and certainly unique. The gunsmith who put that together certainly had a knack for style.
Beautiful Heiser too. Have you attempted to identify the cattle brand on the loop ?
No, I have not. Any of you cattle brand experts that can help please join in.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I wonder how many of us have bought a nifty holster and then "found" a nice handgun to fill it in? More than a few, I suspect, me included (Heiser/2nd Model Woodsman Sport).

Looking at your Long Tom, I think I see an "Improved Model" frame, so it MIGHT have originally been a .45ACP, depending on mfr. date. But it is more likely a US 1917 or a "Commercial 1917," or an Improved originally of some other a caliber with an original or added .45 ACP cylinder to match the Tommy Gun barrel.

An interesting find; needs to be in the 2nd edition of the "Colt's New Service" book!

Thanks for posting!

·
The Consummate Collector
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Cam, I’m guessing there are no etchings or or other makers marks on the back of that fine holster.
What an impressive assemblage.
Regards,
turnerriver
John

Thanks and I did look for the usual etching that is seen on most Heisers but to no avail. It has the owner's name written on the back and the Model 735 stamp under the Heiser logo. I can only conclude that the holster was made for a large frame revolver with a 9 1/2" barrel.

Cam.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I wonder how many of us have bought a nifty holster and then "found" a nice handgun to fill it in? More than a few, I suspect, me included (Heiser/2nd Model Woodsman Sport).

Looking at your Long Tom, I think I see an "Improved Model" frame, so it MIGHT have originally been a .45ACP, depending on mfr. date. But it is more likely a US 1917 or a "Commercial 1917," or an Improved originally of some other a caliber with an original or added .45 ACP cylinder to match the Tommy Gun barrel.

An interesting find; needs to be in the 2nd edition of the "Colt's New Service" book!

Thanks for posting!
It was made from a US Model 1917. I don't think Tim has any thoughts of doing a second edition at least he didn't mention it to me the last time we spoke. I think he did the book as a remembrance to his good friend, the late Bill Powell, who's guns he used for a majority of the book.

Cam.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Looks like there are fewer cooling fins on the barrel on the New Service. I assume the Thompson barrel was threaded differently than the New Service frame so the barrel’s original thread were cut off, a few fins ground down and new threads cut on the barrel. Quite a modification, especially with the different front sight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess this is getting the cart before the horse. I ran across this extra long barreled Heiser holster a few years ago and since I collect Heiser's I went ahead and bought it. It's a beautiful holster but I wasn't sure what it fits. When I got home I tried one of my New Services in it and sure enough, it fit like a glove. I tried one of my 7 1/2" New Service Targets and while the fit was good it still had about two inches of room left at the end of the barrel. Fast forward to last month and I had a chance to buy this unique New Service that had a Thompson Sub Machine gun barrel installed on it. When I saw it I knew I had to have it since I just purchased a Thompson. When I showed the picture of the revolver to my wife she immediately said "You have to buy that". After it arrived I remembered that I had the long barrel Heiser holster so I tried it and the fit was perfect. The barrel measure 9 9/16" and it looks like the holster was made for the gun. Some times we just get lucky. Who ever did the barrel work on the gun did a masterful job as everything looks like it would have come from the factory that way. I took the gun to the range last week and was amazed at just how accurate it was. It held a nice tight group at 25 feet.

The gun in the holster:

Note how the barrel just comes down to the lacing:

The Thompson barrel New Service and its holster:

Shown with my Thompson:
Holster's in fantastic shape, and that hogleg is pretty unique. Great combination. But see, now you can put a 7 1/2 inch Colt .45 (with the acp cylinder), in the holster, and carry a Thompson.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh.My.God!!! I saw the NS in the auction. A friend sent the listing to me. I thought it rather cool. Putting it in THAT Heiser with a Thompson alongside Is next level!!! Please keep the NS and holster together. They just belong in so many ways! Much congrats!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Hey cam, I think I know where the Thompson barrel for your New Service came from. Have you guys ever seen the cheesy 1985 sci-fi movie Zone Troopers ? Character actor Art La Fleur carries a Thompson with what looks like an M1917 .30 cal machine gun barrel attached. He's on the right in this photo.
Actually, I know the writers and director of that movie as well as several of the stars. Good thing La Fleur was using blanks.
Zone Troopers.jpg

·
Registered
313 Posts
Darn, Cam, I used to be proud of my Heiser that fits my 7 1/2" till I saw yours!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Turneriver, I remember now that I bought that holster from you in 2014.
Excuse me if I'm hijacking this thread, don't mean to. Will

21 - 37 of 37 Posts