Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
No expert here but the finish looks wrong, the picture of the barrel shows what appears to be a solder line at the bottom of the sight, the stamping on the pony looks soft and blurred. In MHO refinished and cut down.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Wow.....what is the front sight attached with.....super glue? :)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
That is a high price for sure but, not everyone can hack a gun down, has time to chase parts, knowledge to try etc. These guns have an allure to many and they aren't on shelves so I think this contributes to its price. It is far from original but does have a cool factor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is not your ordinary New Service Revolver as it is the only one I have seen with the 2 1/2 in barrel. I believe this is a civilian version
I really hate seeing comments like that in descriptions. descriptions should be simply the facts. nothing more.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Being the optomist that I strive to be, I sure hope Decatur guns just doesn't know what they are selling and that they are not trying to misrepresent this poor old 1917.....

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've been watching it for week's now. It's been relisted several times.
No interest in buying it, just curious as to how high it will go for. The seller will
do well on this one.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
It is a kind of a sad one...a harsh re-finish, an ugly front Sight shape who's quality of attachment is dubious...poor fitting side plate, and, well, all round kind of depressing.

"Must be a Civillian version"...

I hope the Auction winner will send them a 'civillian version' of payment...like I dunno, some 'Monopoly Money' maybe.

Lol...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is it just my old eyes or is the side plate ill fitting?

·
Registered
670 Posts
That is a high price for sure but, not everyone can hack a gun down, has time to chase parts, knowledge to try etc. These guns have an allure to many and they aren't on shelves so I think this contributes to its price. It is far from original but does have a cool factor.
If you like that, do I have a cut down nothing left original hack job for you and at a bargain too. Only $999.50! With a little time and trouble anyone can do what's been done here...if they have no pride.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I sent a polite email expressing my concerns, still have not heard back. Even tried calling. It is getting cheaper.
geichal

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it just my old eyes or is the side plate ill fitting?
No its not your eyes. The fit is lousy. It was either replaced or refinished off of the gun. You can see how badly the crane was rounded over as well. With all of that over polishing you would think it would at least be shiny. The whole gun is a disaster. The more I look at it I don't think I would pay more than $250 for it.
Either it's being shill bid or the buyer really found a sucker.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes but if you found a $400 shooter grade New Service with worn finish, paid a gunsmith maybe $100 to cut and crown the barrel and mount a front sight it would still only be a $500 gun. And probably a $500 gun that looks a lot better than the one in the listing. For that money one can only hope that it least has good mechanics...but I don't think I would be too optimistic about that either.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes but if you found a $400 shooter grade New Service with worn finish, paid a gunsmith maybe $100 to cut and crown the barrel and mount a front sight it would still only be a $500 gun. And probably a $500 gun that looks a lot better than the one in the listing. For that money one can only hope that it least has good mechanics...but I don't think I would be too optimistic about that either.
My point exactly. Only made more sarcastically...my usual response to an expensive junker.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I didn't say or mean I liked that particular gun much, but given the number of cut down guns seen on this forum that get lots of acceptance it is no surprise to see one of less quality on an auction site.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Hmmmm, we had a thread thoroughly bashing this gun a couple of weeks ago but I can't seem to find it.
Where's A1A when you need him? :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts