Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone identify this problem and tell me how to correct it?

Several times over the past month when I fire my Official Police at the range after I've put half a dozen rounds through it, every now and then the action will jam on one of the chambers. When it starts this, I pull the trigger, the action goes smoothly until the bolt snaps back into place in the gutter and then I have to squeeze the trigger REAL hard giving it a lot of force (and I do mean FORCE) to get it to finish action and fire. I will open the gun, scratch my fingernail around the ratchet, rub my finger along the gutter. I do this enough and eventually it goes away. One might say it is burned powder backblast from a cartridge or something, the only problem is that I'm not finding any great buildup of powder when I rub my finger around the ratchet (some staining maybe but no buildup) or gutter (no buildup at all there).

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
Scrub UNDER the ejector.
If a grain of burned powder or a tiny bit of grit gets between the ejector and it's seat in the cylinder it will cause this.

Other possible causes might be a firing pin hole that's burred, build up of fouling on the barrel and cylinder front, a high or loose firing pin bushing, bad ammo, even a problem in the action.

First thing is to go back to the range, only this time take a clean tooth brush with you.

If the problem reoccurs, hold the ejector open and give the under side of it, and the seat in the cylinder a GOOD scrubbing.

If any dirt or grit does get under the ejector, it tends to get ground into the metal, and can be hard to get off.

You often won't be able to actually see a tiny particle, but it can be enough to cause problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts