Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stan, great example of the New York Government Model. I always found it interesting that Connecticut didn't mark them like New York did.
What markings are on the bottom of the Magazine?
sgtsemo,

Here's the mag that is in it. (Will try to edit some pictures of it's other features and post later.)

Best Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Stan2:

That is a great looking pistol. I have always admired the New York marked Colts.

Please allow one small correction. The New York Colt Government Model .45s were intended for use by the New York State Guard, not the National Guard. Those two organizations are frequently confused. The State Guard is state controlled, state financed and cannot be Federalized. The National Guard is ordinarily under state control but is subject to being Federalized. The NYNG is equipped by the Federal Government, not by the state.

These State Guard Government Model pistols were sold through a gun dealer in Albany, NY but were shipped in 1950 under Colt Factory Order #7078 to the State of New York. State Quartermaster, New York State Arsenal, 201 64th Street, Brooklyn, New York. The history of these guns has been pretty well documented.

You might try to find one of the very scarce NY marked russet holsters that were designed for use with these pistols. It would be a nice accoutrement for your pistol.

BTW, the old NY State Arsenal facility, built in 1925, still exists. However, it is no longer state property. Instead, it is privately owned and is serving as a very secure storage facility.

Regards,
Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stan2:

That is a great looking pistol. I have always admired the New York marked Colts.

Please allow one small correction. The New York Colt Government Model .45s were intended for use by the New York State Guard, not the National Guard. Those two organizations are frequently confused. The State Guard is state controlled, state financed and cannot be Federalized. The National Guard is ordinarily under state control but is subject to being Federalized. The NYNG is equipped by the Federal Government, not by the state.

These State Guard Government Model pistols were sold through a gun dealer in Albany, NY but were shipped in 1950 under Colt Factory Order #7078 to the State of New York. State Quartermaster, New York State Arsenal, 201 64th Street, Brooklyn, New York. The history of these guns has been pretty well documented.

You might try to find one of the very scarce NY marked russet holsters that were designed for use with these pistols. It would be a nice accoutrement for your pistol.

BTW, the old NY State Arsenal facility, built in 1925, still exists. However, it is no longer state property. Instead, it is privately owned and is serving as a very secure storage facility.

Regards,
Charlie
ordnanceguy,

Yes, thank you.

It is one of the 250 Shipped to the New York STATE Arsenal in Brooklyn, New York, on December 16, 1950. (From page 86 Clawson GM book.)

Best Regards,

·
Registered
12 Posts
A New York 1911!

ordnanceguy,

Yes, thank you.

It is one of the 250 Shipped to the New York STATE Arsenal in Brooklyn, New York, on December 16, 1950. (From page 86 Clawson GM book.)

Best Regards,
Kind of a tribute to New York tonight.

·
Registered
215 Posts
sgtsemo,

Here's the mag that is in it. (Will try to edit some pictures of it's other features and post later.)

Best Regards,

Stan, Thanks , I have one like that and two others with my 1951 Connecticut State Guard Commercials The other two
have the period after AUTO = COLT .45 AUTO. Ill pull them out in the morning and photo them.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, there's a 1st time for everything...

Only 1 of 250...!?

Impressive Stan !!

With those Circle Rampant Colt Stocks...may I inquire as to what year these were issued ?

Thanks

SHOOTER13,

The Stocks with the New York Pistol were issued about mid 1950. They are the Injection Molding Process Stocks that followed the late-1948 (early 1949) through mid-1950 Thermo-Set Stocks pictured below. The Stocks that preceded those pictured did not have the Rampant COLT.

These early
Injection Molding Process Stocks (on the New York Pistol) tend to not shrink as much as the later Stocks.

Best Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lucked on to one of these here in central Texas a couple years ago. The story of how it got here would probably be interesting and I wish I knew it. The LGS guy thought it might be a "state police" gun, but I thought it was worthy of a Colt letter, and that clued me in. Mine seems to have had a grip change over the years and now wears wood checkered grips with a silver Colt medallion that shows only the upper half of the rampant colt. I wish mine was in the shape of the one shown here, but it isn't too beat up.

Thank you for this thread that gives me even more information on this interesting pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I lucked on to one of these here in central Texas a couple years ago. The story of how it got here would probably be interesting and I wish I knew it. The LGS guy thought it might be a "state police" gun, but I thought it was worthy of a Colt letter, and that clued me in. Mine seems to have had a grip change over the years and now wears wood checkered grips with a silver Colt medallion that shows only the upper half of the rampant colt. I wish mine was in the shape of the one shown here, but it isn't too beat up.

Thank you for this thread that gives me even more information on this interesting pistol.
davekeith,

Welcome to the Forum !

When you can, post pictures of your NEW YORK State Pistol. ? The non-shrinking narrow ring (reinforcement around the screws) Stocks are hard to find,...watch ebay.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
20160922_221755269_iOS.jpg 20160922_221842700_iOS.jpg 20160922_221829401_iOS.jpg

I am painfully inept at downloading pictures, but this is what I have. I'm a little embarrassed that I don't even know the appropriate nomenclature for the various grip styles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The stocks on my NY State Colt are obviously not original when compared to stan3's excellent outfit, but seem to have been on there for a long time. Is there a way to identify the era from which they come? Thanks for any information anyone may have to share. You may assume ignorance on my part and be completely correct.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts