Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and a half ago I gave the grandson a Remington 870 Ducks Unlimited Mississippi edition 12 gauge. Nice shotgun. Very light, pump action, 28" ventilated rib barrel, shoots up to 3" magnums. It had been leaning (fully loaded) in a corner of my dad's closet for years and I got it when he croaked.
We've taken it out to the range a few times and shot clay pigeons with it, well the grandson shoots them, I just shoot "at" them :) and he turned out to be very good with it.
Anyway, today his dad took him goose hunting for the first time and they both bagged a goose, though the grandson got his in the first flight that came over.
Here's a pic of the grandson with his goose and the 870.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............
Camouflage Military camouflage Sky Plant Tree
Wood Office supplies Office equipment Font Hardwood

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Fantastic!!! You helped him continue to find his way and by providing the shotgun from your father, have passed on something physical to connect him with his great grandfather! How cool is that! Perhaps he'll pass it along one day as well.

The farthest I can stretch is three generations for a hunting rifle, now going to my daughter from her grandmother. Wouldn't have done it any other way.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's going to take a while for the grin on his face to fade. :) His father was really impressed with the 870 when he took it over to show it to him. They're nice shotguns anyway and the little bit of Ducks Unlimited adornment adds a bit to its looks without being flashy like the ones with gold accents.
Feels way lighter than my old 12 gauge Winchester model 12 and that ribbed barrel really helps to acquire and hold a target.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.........

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great picture and family history. Hopefully it will be continually passed down in your family.
I took my son partridge hunting for the first time in 2020. He almost got his first bird with his great grandmother's single shot .410.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I was actually pricing 2 different Wingmasters with an additional separate barrel for each .
All four were individual GB auctions , so I said f it .

Great gift Tramp - that Rem is gorgeous..... that honker is pretty damn unique lookin !

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Nothing better than hunting with Grandpa's gun!! I love when safe gun handling and hunting is past down to the next generation. Congrats.
That's a beautiful stocked shotgun, To quote the wife, " nice wood" hehehe...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was actually pricing 2 different Wingmasters with an additional separate barrel for each .
All four were individual GB auctions , so I said f it .

Great gift Tramp - that Rem is gorgeous..... that honker is pretty damn unique lookin !
That 870 is nice isn't it? And there are all kinds of goodies available for them.
Gun Auctions is a pretty good site for firearms. I've bought and sold a few things there with no problems.
I'm pretty sure that the goose is a Canadian. There's some pretty good bird and waterfowl hunting around here because a number of different birds migrate through Wyoming.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my grandfather's 1940s post war 30-30 Winchester 94 and S&W K22 Masterpiece but gave them to my brother a couple years ago to pass on to his kids.
The Winchester has a beautiful patina from decades of use and the K22 has an early set of Pachmayr target grips and a target trigger shoe. Incredibly accurate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts