Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up today in a multi-gun trade deal. I asked for an extra $200 cash, he threw this in instead, no box nor papers.

I have zero knowledge of S&W revolvers or their markings. From the brief research I have done, I know it's a Model 60 with a 3" barrel, serial number of "BAD0xxx" . A couple of questions... Is this a "dash" model, or would that be stamped inside the crane? What does the XX566 mean on the crane? What would approximate value be? Desirability?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I think it is rare. I used to carry the 2" version for many years but it was stolen with my truck. I replaced it with a model 36 3" blue version just like yours. In my opinion it is about ideal to pack. I have a snubbed hammer on mine and also had the hammer snubbed on my 2" model 60. It`s not quite a pocket gun but is a winner to pack in a OC pancake holster with a untucked shirt.

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
The S&W Model 60 has been in production since 1965, and holds the distinction of being the first regular production all stainless steel revolver ever made.

The Model 60 featured a 1.875" barrel and was chambered solely for the .38 Special. In 1996, the stronger J-Magnum frame was introduced and the cylinder was lengthened to support the .357 Magnum round. The new model replaced the .38 Special-only version and is available in either a 2.125" or a 3" barrel, with a 5" barrel introduced in 2005.

The first "dash" didn't appear until 1972...when the 3" square butt was introduced in limited production.

The second "dash" didn't appear until 1982...when a DOA model was introduced.

After that...dash models appeared almost yearly...mostly covering small changes or adding different models like the Ladysmith ( -6 ).

Older versions of the Model 60 were produced with only fixed sights...and modern productions are typically made with an adjustable rear sight (3" and 5") and a fixed sight (1.875" and 2.125") in front.

The "dash" would appear on the crane after the model #...so your specimen is a no dash.

Those other numbers on the crane...I can't help you with.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
According to the Latest S&W Catalog the Serial number with the 3 letter prefix should make it around 1989-90 ship date. I could be wrong there. Shows pricing from $400 for very good and $500 for excellent. I'm sure some would pay a premium for the 3" barrel. I think the xx number on crane is an assembly number. I'd love to double your money and take it home. Looks like a nice find.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting to see a Mod. 60 no dash w/unpinned barrel and serial number w/XX prefix. Possible pre-production unit?
I gather that the serial number is actually on the butt of S&Ws, and serial number is "BAD0XXX" where the XXX is the number. From what I gather, that makes it maybe late '80's?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Interesting to see a Mod. 60 no dash w/unpinned barrel and serial number w/XX prefix. Possible pre-production unit?
I agree. I would say this model 60 (no dash) has some "unusual" characteristics. I would get a letter from Roy Jinks on this one.

You would think this gun must be pre 1972 because of it's model #. If this gun was made in the 1980's or 1990's it should be stamped "Model 60-3 or later". Smith did a lot of weird things and the gun frame could have laid around for years.

Thinking about it...you guys are probably right about it being made in the 80's or 90's because of the unpinned barrel and shape of the trigger. Who knows?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
OctopusHighball, you got about 3X the value in that 3" Model 60 over the $200 cash you asked for. 3" Model 36's and 60's aren't scarce but they aren't that common either. That extra 1" makes a lot of difference in shootability and velocity and not much difference in concealability. Not sure what to make about yours not having a dash number, probably just a factory oversight. If you aren't needing the cash, you might want to hang onto that one.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Is it possible this gun was pieced together with other parts of various vintages? I have no idea but it might explain some of the discrepancies.

Regardless, you came out way ahead on the deal. My wife carries the model 60-14 Ladysmith and loves it so much I can't get her to shoot anything else. Good pick up.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,613 Posts
The XX566 number is a factory assembly number used to keep fitted parts together during manufacture.
Once it leaves the factory they no longer have any meaning.

On S&W's these are usually on the side of the grip frame and cylinder yoke. (S&W calls the crane a yoke).
These numbers must match or parts have been replaced.

Other numbers and stamps on the grip frame are factory inspection stamps, meanings unknown.

This appears to be a "no-dash" First Model 60.
I think you can still contact Roy Jenks and get a factory letter similar to the Colt Archive letter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts